Default Green Baby Products and Information

After months of research, I am surprised by the lack of cohesive information regarding green, ecofriendly products and especially by the lack of a clear repository for harmful toxins in the major baby books. I feel that this topic is either glossed over or thrown out because it may take effort on the part of the parent to be greener rather than simply go with mainstream America. For example, there are over 50 known toxins in disposable diapers that have been linked with several long term diseases, not to mention the huge impact they have on the environment. I have yet to see this discussed in depth in any major baby book.

I can't attach an example of a plastics breakdown that all parents should read and know about due to the size, but I would be happy to send to you or any parent that is interested. Online, this report and others can be found here: http://iatp.org/foodandhealth/. Please notice that the date is 2005, which means that this information has been around for a while and ignored.

Also, National Geographic now has a new magazine / website (http://www.thegreenguide.com/) that offers great tips to living greener. Sections for parents that should be highlighted and called out are soaps, detergents, cleaners, and plastics.

I hope this helps other parents. I'm truely dissapointed in how hard it has been to find real information regarding green products and sincerely hope that you'll help us (parents) out by including a dedicated section in your next book. One step at a time and maybe we can change the "baby machine" that dictates to parents what they think they want, instead of what is actually best for their children. Coming from a product managment / marketing background, I am more than appalled by what I've seen in this segment of the market.

Pluddle

Thank you for listing a couple of links for me to check out. I am on a Green kick, and I plan to stay on it. I just moved into a new house, and took NO cleaning chemicals with me. I refuse to buy them now, and I feel great about this decision! My boyfriend wants me to buy Windex, and I keep saying "no". He can use a vinegar and water mix! I actually have made my own homemade cleaners, and have them in spray bottles under the sink. (OK, I've only made the "all purpose" cleaner, but I have 3 more bottles for more mixtures on the way!)
    Heidi

Expecting my first, due August 20th