Default Going to Boston (Cambridge) for vacation-need stroller advice

We are travelling to Cambridge, MA and then Vermont (family has a place on Lake Champlain) for a week this summer and I was wanting to bring two macs (volo and quest) for DS and DD. They will want to walk alot (they are 5 and 4) but I want to have a stroller to keep them safe/contained in busy places or when we will need to walk quickly (DD is a "dawdler")

Will the macs be sufficient for Boston? I heard the sidewalks are bumpy. Also, do you gate check your strollers? It's my first time to air travel with kiddoes......

Thanks for any advice!

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes......that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes" - unknown

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I grew up in Boston and spent a lot of time in Cambridge. Sidewalks are bumpy but for older kids who walk a lot and for a visit should be fine. There are a lot of Macs here (although more air tire strollers). I gate check strollers except for my P&T which I check in the P&T bag. In VT obviously the Macs won't be so great for any dirt paths etc.
    Good luck and have fun -- Cambridge is a wonderful area!
    /hillary

Thanks Hillary!

Awesome, we want to have the strollers for the airport just to make good time (at one layover we only have 40 minutes!)

This may seem like a dumb question but when you gate check a stroller, does that mean they have it waiting for you when you deplane? Also, do you put it in a travel bag to protect it while in flight?

As far as Vermont, we will only use the strollers when in the "city" shopping and at the airport. The rest of the trip will be pretty relaxed and low key with not as much walking at one time, so we should be ok - at 4 and 5 they want to walk most of the time anyway, but the strollers are a necessity when in crowds and to get my daughter MOVING!

Thanks again!!

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes......that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes" - unknown

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes gate checked they give it to you when you get off on the ramp (sometimes you have to wait a few mins sometimes it is there when I get off). When gate checked I do not use the bag -- they sometimes do not realize it is a stroller and it goes down to bag claim if you put it in a bag.

Have fun!
    /hillary

mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Mac would be perfect. I live not to far from Boston and my Mac has gone over those bumpy sidewalks/streets for four years now with no problems

Thank you everyone!!!!

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hi Ronda
    I took a Volo and Quest to NYC last year and I don't think they could have been more perfect! Mine were 2 and 5 years old at the time. I probably wouldn't want to walk for miles everyday with the smaller wheels, but they were great for the trip. Loved the small fold and lightweight for travel, on and off buses and stuff. Have fun!
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

Hey Jami - is that you from strollerswap? Jamimaci? If so, we've swapped a few times!!!!

Thanks for the input - I think the volo and quest are going to be perfect - so glad I kept them!!! I also have a buggster, but that baby has NO scratches on it (and it's that easily-scratchy frame) so I'm not taking any chances!

Thanks again!
    Ronda