Default how to make a crib skirt??

for some strange reason, DS#4 actually sleeps in his crib for most of the night (unlike my other 3 children, who slept in my arms in my bed all night long...). So I thought he should have more than 1 crib sheet, and I'd like to put a skirt on the crib so it's not so ugly. How hard is it to make one? I don't have a sewing machine, but want to buy an entry-level from target or someplace not expensive.

or can you buy cute funky crib skirts online without the whole bedding collection?

tia!
    susan
    susan

twin girls 7.02 | vinny 10.06 | dante 1.08

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My MIL made the skirts for DS and DD1 using a pattern (available at JoAnns or other fabric stores) so that the fabric would match/coordinate with the window treatments. A large variety of cute, ready made crib skirts are also available at stores such as www.landofnod.com, www.potterybarnkids.com, www.target.com, etc.

I'm working on mine today, I'll take pictures and put up a quick tutorial. Crib skirts are pretty easy, especially the ruffled ones.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A crib skirt is super easy if you want the "tailored" look (no gathers). This isn't the greatest pic, but here is my crib skirt.

I used this pattern http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=9315 which is now out of print, but I am sure you can find something similar.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you live near a Hancock Fabrics they are having Simplicity patterns for $1 this weekend. Joanne's has McCalls patterns for $1.99 on the 4th.

Default crib skirt measurements?

I have a king bed skirt with a 15" drop which a neighbor will be making into a valance and crib skirt. The neighbor is a seamstress and doesn't need a pattern (obviously, since it's not a difficult sewing job), but I did want to give her measurements for the "platform" of the crib skirt. Could someone please provide me with these measurements? Is it the same as the standard 28" x 52" crib mattress? (Our actual crib isn't here yet, or I would just measure that.) Thanks! Jennifer
    Last edited by jrc; 07-10-2008 at 06:54 PM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jrc
    I have a king bed skirt with a 15" drop which a neighbor will be making into a valance and crib skirt. The neighbor is a seamstress and doesn't need a pattern (obviously, since it's not a difficult sewing job), but I did want to give her measurements for the "platform" of the crib skirt. Could someone please provide me with these measurements? Is it the same as the standard 28" x 52" crib mattress? (Our actual crib isn't here yet, or I would just measure that.) Thanks! Jennifer
    I made mine about that size - but I used all the same fabric so the platform part wouldn't show if something got askew. I did a box pleat on each side. It's nice

Eve is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I just finished mine tonight. I just did a flat front with one pleat and a border at the bottom. i did it without a pattern and i am no seamstress. it's really easy since it's basically just rectangles.

One hint, that the patterns won't do, is instead of making a platform that would go under the mattress and connect all the sides that hang down, i made all four sides seperate and then velcroed them to the mattress platform. that way when you change the sheets the dust ruffle won't move and get out of place.