Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by niccig
    We were visiting my SIL and her friend, a ped. was over for lunch and she said there's no research that reflux meds help babies.

You're KIDDING! Omg, there is all *kinds* of research out there about this or they'd never okay prevacid or zantac or the other meds for use with infants. In fact, there's discussion out there about whether "colic" should be split into "colic that responds to anti-acid/anti-reflux meds" and "other colic, nonresponsive".

Now, there *is* some discussion in the community about whether getting rid of the acid actually helps get rid of the fluid coming up (that is, the actual reflux itself) and what to do about that. But that's not the same thing....
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Actually, reflux can harm the baby---it can eat through his esophagus.

My 8 mo old son has terrible reflux and a milk allergy. I fired our previous ped, as they were uninterested in how poorly my son was doing and didn't take his spitting up seriously. I really liked them as people and they were conveniently located but I wasn't looking for a new best friend, I wanted a kid that I could actually like. It was sheer hell for 4 mos.

I took him to a GI ped and thank god b/c she told me to stop nursing immediately and put him on Neocate formula (hypoallergenic w/ no dairy/whey/casein) as well as give him Zantac and Prilosec. Nursing was a misery for both of us and it was a relief when I realized I couldn't continue--even after attempting an elimination diet of every food in the world he still couldn't stay awake more than 3-5 min. to eat so I couldn't produce more than 15 oz a day. Turns out breast was NOT best for my baby, I was nearly killing him with it--literally. He was gaining about 1 oz per wk (not the standard 1 oz/day). Once he got on the Neocate and meds he improved drastically. The spitting up continued but it wasn't flying out of his diaper anymore and he actually started gaining wgt!

He had an upper GI which showed no reflux at all. Then he had an endoscopy which showed he wasn't lactose intolerant nor had Celiac's Disease---but he can still be allergic rather than intolerant. So if your upper GI comes back w/ no sign of reflux it doesn't mean he doesn't have it. He just didn't experience it during the exam.

I don't know how you've withstood this for so long. You need a doctor who listens to you. Follow your gut on this one.

Also, Prevacid (commonly used here for reflux) has a milk base so if you're eliminating dairy you don't want that one, which is why my son is on Prilosec. At around 7 mos he improved greatly and rarely spits up at all now. I think it gets better as they get older--but they need to be treated in the meantime. He gets 1mL of Prilosec every a.m. and 2.5mL Zantac at night.

Good luck!

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

bump for updated OP
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm glad Connor is feeing better !!!!!

s_gosney is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That's awesome news!!! Good for you for being a strong and persistent advocate for your child. And yes, hopefully the meds will keep doing the trick. Enjoy the sleep!
    Sherri
    dd 10/03 "Mommy I made a video for you. If you want to see it, you should go to kids dot org slash Kylee."
    ds 05/08 who is quite amused by playing peekaboo with the straw on his foogo cup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2