sfmom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Help! Plugged duct!

Any advice on what to do about a plugged duct? Anything that works? I thought this normally happens early on. Is it fairly common that it occurs as far out as 7-8 months into breastfeeding? I'm in a fair amount of pain

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It can happen anytime and if your child is eating solids and BFg less, its a prime time to happen.

Try massaging behind the plug, and towards the nipple, while your child is nursing. You can try warm compresses prior to or during nursing, depending on the location of the duct. Drink lots of water. If it on the side of the breast and you have been nursing lying down (ie., the plug is where the bed would hit you), try nursing sitting up and see if that helps.

Advil helps with the pain. Cabbage leaves can too, but they are usually used for weaning.

If you develop a sudden onset of high fever, its probably become mastitis and you need to go to the dr.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Massage, massage massage. I had one a month ago when my son was 6 months old so it does happen that late. It took a few days to resolve and hurt a lot but it did go away. Warm showers while massaging and frequent nursing. HTH!

scoop22 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i feel your pain!! i am getting over this. warm/hot compresses while pumping. also massaging. i also would bend over at the waist and massage. this didn't help right away but the pumping then bending helped. i am still very sore from this. ds didn't want to eat on this side while i had the clogged duct. he just wasn't satisified.. i tried hard to feed off this side as often as possible. i hope this helps. it is such a painful experience..

also once i got it unclogged it took forever for it to empty. it was a very slow process.

i have a hot tub and this help relax me.. so maybe a hot bubble bath.
    big brother 7/22/05

little brother 4/4/08

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You may also want to give your nipples a good look-see to see whether you have a bleb or a clogged nipple pore - do a search here for "bleb" (there is also great info at kellymom) and you'll find out everything you need to know.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Nurse the heck out of the plugged side. As often as you can. The massage will definitely help while you're nursing. I even had DH massage it a bit for me (when he was home) while DS was nursing because I couldn't get a good angle on it myself.

And I second watching for a fever/flu-like symptoms. I didn't have to go in-- was just able to call my ob/gyn and he called in a prescription for me.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Lecithin was my solution. I used to get frequent clogged ducts when DD was about 2-3 mo. old. The lactation consultant suggested Lecithin 1200 mg 3x/day, but I am only taking once a day. Haven't had any since (except when I ran out of Lecithin for a week) and am still BF DD who just turned 7 mo.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I got some great advice a few months ago on here when I had a really stubborn clog so you might want to check the archives (though I think most of the advice has already been given on here). What finally worked for me was leaning forward into warm bath water and lots of compression. I was squeezing so hard that I was worried I would damage something but all this thick milk kept coming out (sorry for that TMI but it really was like silly string!). It took a few sessions but then it was all out. It was a matter of finding the right spot to compress.

Ds is 7.5m and I have another plug. Luckily I have some lechitin on hand this time and I'll keep working on it.

GL!
    Beth

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm dealing with a plug right now, too - and I'm on vacation! Thank god I brought the pump. And my trusty needle. Ugh.