Question Small base for TT: Radian, Nautilus, other?

I have two children - 1 (DS) and 3 (DD). I need to ditch the carrier my son is in. My 3 yo DD is in a Roundabout. She is small and can stay in it for a while or move up to a harness booster (like in my car). My husband drives an Audi TT. We are trying to figure out what to get to fit the three of them (DH, DS, and DD) in the car. One kid has to sit up front (airbag off). It would be nice to keep DS rearfacing, but that might not be possible. What are our options for convertables or boosters with slim bases/ small footprints? What are your recommendations? I drive a Magnum with a Roundabout for him and Frontier for her. One option is to move both Roundabouts to his car and buy another convertable for car.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OK, since nobody else has stepped up, I'll give it a shot.

First off, I personally would not put my kids in a TT. There is just not enough room for it to be safe. As you said, you have to put one up front which is not as safe, even without the airbag. Secondly, the back seat of that car can barely fit a purse, let alone a carseat (I have been in one, it's TINY). The lack of space means an increase risk of them hitting the interior in a crash. Also, the shear PITB factor of trying to get them in there would be enough to put me over the edge.

Given all that. I would say put the rear-facing Roundabout up front, airbag OFF, seat pushed forward until it is braced on the dashboard and tether it if possible. In the back, try a Radian. It is narrow with a small bottom and may fit down in the seat. If the Radian won't sit down in the seat or install well, then something like a Roundabout may work with the small base down in the scoop of the seat. Top tether if available.

The techs can chime in here with their thoughts, but that is my best guess today.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Default Thank you

Thank you, thank you for responding!

I understand there is the Radian 65 and the Radian 80. Any thoughts on the two? I know so little about Radians.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If your 3 yo is in a Roundabout, you don't need the 80

They are the same size seat, the top slots are the same on both, the only difference is the weight limit. A few very stocky kids might go over the 65 lb limit and need the 80, but most kids will be 45-60 lbs when they outgrow the seat by height (5-7 years old).

There are a few covers on the 80 that people like better, but IMO, you would be better off buying a 65 and then getting a cover from Sunshine Kids. The cost of a 65 plus an extra cover is about the same as the cost of an 80 and then you have a spare cover.

ETA: If at all possible, put the Roundabout rear-facing in the backseat - the front seat should be a last resort. If you move the passenger seat all the way forward, you may be able to do it. Really, though, you could sell that car for the cost of two gently used family-friendly sedans. Just my $0.02!
    Last edited by o_mom; 07-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)