Default Ship Cruises for Families

MIL wants to take us on a cruise next summer. I DO NOT CRUISE!! Honestly, I would probably rather have a sharp stick in my eye. (I like week long wilderness backpacks--so the opposite spectrum)

BUT I have always wanted/would be willing to cruise Alaska--see whales glaciers icebergs etc.

Any ideas for a ship line that is more low key, might have smaller ships, be good for families??? Unfortunately, the ILs are NOT active people in any way (so yes, we are talking me taking a vacation with people whose definition of fun is my definition of hell--and vice versa ) or I would book us on something with National Geographic or a Discovery Cruise.

Ok, so I want the least touristy-oriented cruise ship possilbe while keeping my MIL happy. Is this even possible? Or am I just going to have to suck it up????

Any websites to look at? What should I consider? Any good books?? The things I am willing to do for family harmony
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sounds like a tall order, especially if you are on any kind of budget. Try www.cruisecritic.com for active discussion boards on all cruise topics.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I second the recommendation for checking out Cruisecritic.com Here is a direct link to the Alaska board/forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I don't know that you'll find what you're looking for though. I would plan a more main stream cruise and plan for some more in depth excursions while the kids stay with your IL's on board maybe!

With kids I would suggest one of the lines that has a good childrens program

Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian fit the bill there.

I have heard of cruise critic so I will check that out. Fortunately, I think the budget is anything we want (obviously not 5 star ultra expensive, but not necessarily frugal either).

So I think I should focus on the kid program thing--because that is one objective deciding factor and really key if we want to keep people happy.

What should I look for in a good kids' program???
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

are your kiddos potty trained would be the 1st question?

Royal Caribbean's program starts at age 3 but they have to be fully potty trained... and be able to do everything themselves! If they have more than one accident they will not be allowed to come back!

Carnival will change diapers and their program starts at age 2. Norwegian also starts at 2 but they will give you a pager and page you if your child needs a change!

There is also Princess or Celebrity... lots of lines and lots to choose from but the 1st 3 seem to be the most small child friendly!

RC's boats that cover Alaska are ...

Radiance of the Seas
    Serenade of the seas ... this is the most recently built in 2003!
    Rhapsody of the seas

Carnivals boat is the
    Spirit

Norwegians boats are

Pearl ... built in 2006
    Star
    Sun

Norwegian has the free style dining plan where you can eat wherever/whenever you want .. some people love it... others don't!

If you have PT'd kids I think I would go for Royal Caribbean ... they have lots to do on the boat and are well liked by kids/families!

This will be next year so DD should be PTd by then.

Are any of the ships smaller? Or are they all about 2,000 people?

Do they have family suites or do you just get 2 rooms with a door inbetween?

Sorry for all these ?s, but you can tell I have no idea what I am doing!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde

A 2,000 passenger ship is considered pretty small these days! The older ships tend to be smaller but I don't think that there's much out there in the big cruiselines that is smaller than 2,000 passengers. Most of the newer ships are 2500-3000 passengers. You can look on each cruiseline's website for the size of the ship.

You can get suites but they are usually really pricey. Most families get two adjoining rooms, I think.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde

I think some of the newer RC ships have "family" suites but the general idea is that getting 2 adjoining rooms is actually better cause you gain an extra bathroom! Some neighbors of ours went on Royal Caribbean and got 3 adjoining balcony cabins. They were able to ask their room steward to open the partition on the balconies and their kids had a lot more room to move around outside... run their cars up and down etc.! I've heard that on Alaskan Cruises you want to be sure you are on the side that will give you good views of the glaciers/scenery.... make sure you ask about it when you book!

The newer the ship the larger it is typically. The newer ships have better amenities ... rock climbing walls, mini golf, ice skating rinks etc! I don't think any line runs their smaller ships up in Alaska.... they only run on shorter 3 and 4 day trips in other regions!

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/destination/Alaska/

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...e0u?dest=ALCAN