Default Aftermarket carseat padding

I have the Evenflo infant carseat from DD, which I purchased with a travel system. (That was before I learned about the BBB ) I'd love to replace it but can't seem to justify the cost, as it is in good condition.
    My question is how do I make it more comfy for baby. Unlike the plush well-padded Gracos and others, this one came with a thin carseat cover and a completely useless 'infant head pillow'. I'm thinking about getting something like this body support padding: http://store.babycenter.com/product/...ody+support.do?

Is that ok, safety-wise? If so, are there better ones out there? Thanks!
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You're not supposed to put any padding into any car seat (heavy winter coats included!). The seats are tested as they are sold, and anything else could change the performance enough to make it actually unsafe in an accident.

Sorry...

Maybe someone knows of something specifically safe for your seat, but that's the general answer as I understand it.
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

I was afraid of that. I remember reading about the Bundle Me being an unsafe idea. I wonder if there's any safe option?
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

We have this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2813891 which has minimal padding behind the baby but cradles her head. Yes, I know you're not supposed to use anything aftermarket in the seats, but it's no thicker than the useless insert that came with our seat (actually, the part behind the baby is thinner) and our bucket (also bought before I found BBB) would be unusable without it.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly, the Evenflo is not a great seat so buying a new one would make sense on many levels. The new infant seats last for over a year in many cases and are much nicer than the older ones. I bought a Graco Safeseat becasue my old Graco Snugride had expired and it is SO much easier to use (handle can be left up or down), install (built in lock-off on base) and DD still fits with room to spare at 14 months.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Even that one is not recommended as it can make the straps fit wrong (the strap are threaded through and they can have more slack in them than they should). The only thing that is suggested is a rolled up receiving towel or two to support baby. If you have a Graco, you might be able to buy Graco brand aftermarket parts that are allowed.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014