Default Kid friendly activities on Vancouver Island

We are visiting some relatives that live in Lantzville (near Nanaimo) next week. We have just been told that our fishing trip is off due to lack of fish, unless we want to go way out to the ocean. I have a day trip planned to Cowichan & Duncan, but now we have one more day to fill before heading over to Vancouver. Our relatives' children are grown, so I'm hoping some of you have some suggestions for what to do with our extra day. i don't think we want to drive all the way to Victoria for the day. Too long of a drive with the kids (ages almost 4 and almost 2).

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well, if you're going to be in Duncan, you might as well head into Victoria -- its not that much farther IMO. I wouldn't stop in Duncan unless you need gas. Or beer.

DH says Cowichan Lake is nice for swimming, at Gordon Bay.

There are caves that are quite famous, but I can't remember if they are north or south of Nanaimo -- not sure how appropriate they are for little kids though. Parksville has a nice beach, its north of Nanaimo. Rathtrevor is the provincial beach there.

Victoria is waaaaay nicer than Nanaimo.

A lot of the fishing seasons (which vary depending on species) are closed to sport fishing this year. No fish. Bummer.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011