Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: t

Default t

Next week we will be flying to Seattle, spending two days there and then driving to Canada. After crossing the border we will head to Tsawassen to board the ferry to Nanaimo.

The ferry leaves at 12:45pm, we have a reservation and know we need to be there by 12:15 at the latest. My biggest concern is how long the back up at the border will take. We plan to leave Seattle by 8:00am. is this enough time?

All four of us (me, husband, kids ages 4 & 2) have passports, so hopefully there will be no issues to deal with.

If you leave Seattle by 8am, you'll probably get to the border around 10 to start waiting in line. Good thing is, traffic in the morning is usually heading into Seattle, so hopefully you won't encounter any until maybe Everett. I always allow 2 hours to get to the border.

Weekends are always busier @ the border crossing, though my coworker had to wait @ the border for 3 hours a couple weeks ago on a Friday. I'm assuming you'll take the Peace Arch border since it's closer to the ferry - that one's always more congested IME.

I forgot how long it takes to get to the Tsawassen ferry from the border. You might want to MapQuest that to see how much more to add to your "known" commute time so you can calculate how much buffer you want to leave for border lines.

So...
    Seattle>border = ~2 hours
    Border wait time = ?? (variable, depending on day/time)
    Border>Tsawassen ferry dock = ?? need to MapQuest
    The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least. -Author unknown

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used to live in WA state, so have some experience with this too. From the border to Tsawwassen is about 45 min. I might give it 2.5 hours from Seattle, we were there in May and there was a lot of highway work through Everett. At least you are going north in the morning, so away from most of the traffic if it is a weekday. Border wait times that I have experienced ranged from 15 min to well over an hour to get into Canada (and we tried not to go peak times when we could). It usually is a much longer wait to get back into the US.

WA state DOT has a good website, they list any traffic issues, major construction on highways, and they have traffic cameras you can look up including at the border. I think they update border wait times too, so maybe you can check it for the time of day you will be getting there to get an idea ahead of time.
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

I have to agree with Peggy on all counts. I lived in Lynnwood and Bellingham for many years. My family is still in Edmonds and Anacortes. I think you should allow at least 2.5 hours from Seattle to the border.

Also, in addition to the WA DOT site, there is a BC site with a ferry trip planner and it has approximate wait times.

Best of luck and have fun - I am so envious!!!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend of ours lives in Tsawassen.....there are two points of entry and the truck crossing is almost always quicker and cars are allowed to use it...many don't think they can use it and our friends swear it cuts crossing time by tons!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It is at least 2.5 hours from SeaTac to the Canadian border in non-rush hour traffic.

Don't use Peace Arch (Douglas). The Pacific Hwy/Truck crossing is basically 2 minutes East and typically has half the border wait, especially northbound. You will see the exit signs from I-5.

Once you cross at the Truck crossing, head north. The street name is 176, IIRC the signage at the border is Hwy 15. Turn left at the first light/intersection, which is 8th Ave. Head west. About 2km down 8th Ave, you will see the signs for Hwy 99 North. Take that exit.

Stay on Hwy 99 North until you see the signs for the Tsawassen ferry terminal/Victoria. You will exit off Hwy 99N to Hwy 17West. The signage is somewhat confusing as there are HOV lanes that become exit lanes. If you go through the tunnel, you've gone too far, LOL.

It will take about 30 minutes once you are through the border to get to the ferry terminal, assuming no traffic delays. IIRC, you have to be at the terminal 30 min in advance or you lose your reservation.

Here are some border wait time websites:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html
    http://www.borderlineups.com/
    http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/ATIS/index.htm

All are pretty reliable. Headed south, there are big screens that give you the wait times and they are generally accurate. I don't recall a screen on the I5 northbound before the Truck crossing exit so that you can decide which to go to.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Thanks SO much for all the advice! My father in law tol dme about that truck route and i had totally forgotten!!!

Just an FYI for your southbound/return trip. The US is doing major construction at the Peace Arch/Douglas crossing. They have gone from 10 lanes/booths down to two. In summer. Niiiiiice. The waits are horrendous, even during the week.

I would definitely take the Pacific Hwy/Truck crossing for your return to the US.

Have a great trip!
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Default Iirc?

What is IIRC? I am printing these directions out, so thanks so much for your help! We have a GPS, but I'll bet it tries to take us the car route, so we will overrode it to use the truck route.

"Once you cross at the Truck crossing, head north. The street name is 176, IIRC the signage at the border is Hwy 15. Turn left at the first light/intersection, which is 8th Ave. Head west. About 2km down 8th Ave, you will see the signs for Hwy 99 North. Take that exit. "

IIRC = if I recall correctly

176 Street and Hwy 15 are the same road. No one here calls it Hwy 15, everyone calls it 176 Street. I have no idea how it will show up on your GPS.

Basically, take the Truck crossing. Turn left at the 1st light, which is 8th Ave. Continue West until you see the signage for Hwy 99 North, take that exit. Hwy 99 North until you see the signage for Hwy 17 West/Ferries/Victoria, take that exit. You can't miss the ferry terminal -- if you do, you'll end up in the ocean, LOL.

BTW, have you considered doing a loop? Take the ferry from Tsawassen to Nanaimo (Duke Point). Visit relatives. Head south to Victoria, play tourist, head to Vancouver from Victoria ferry terminal (Swartz Bay) back to Tsawassen, then head to Vancouver. That's a much much MUCH nicer route than the ferry ride from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay. Plus, you'll get to see Victoria, which is really pretty and kid friendly. It would really be a shame to miss Victoria on your trip, especially in favor of Duncan, Cowichan or Nanaimo. Even DH agreed with me.
    Melissa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast