Default Best scooter for 6 & 4 year old boys?

I am already thinking about Christmas and my son's birthday, which is December 26th - we always need to plan and budget ahead of time!

We're thinking he's going to get a big boy bike (the one who will be 6 years old), even though he's still using training wheels now.

But, I'd also like to get them scooters - seems to be a big thing in our neighborhood and so they'd have them for playing with the other kids.

I've seen lots of kinds talked about and it gets a little confusing! What do you like\dislike about your scooters, or would you recommend, based on their ages? My 4 year old is quite fast, athletic and is a little brute. My 6 year old son though, is more cautious and is not as daring. He needs a little extra help with coordination sometimes! They are both tall, too.

Thanks! Kelli

I have an almost 5 year old daughter and would love to learn more about scooters too. She's been asking for one all summer!
    Michele

Mom of Lauren, Hannah, Jackson and a baby angel.

My girls have a Schwinn one and two Razors (all from garage sales). They all work fine and the girls love them! My almost 4 yo is ADORABLE on hers. She's slow as a turtle but so stinkin' cute to watch! LOL
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Okay, this is probably a silly question, but WHERE do you find scooters that are age appropriate for a preschooler? THANKS!
    Michele

Mom of Lauren, Hannah, Jackson and a baby angel.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a basic Razor A scooter from Target. My 3 and almost 5 yo use it all the time. The handlebar adjusts down, so it ends up being perfect size for them. It was around $20-25. The only dislike I have is that the folding mechanism broke after a month or so and it won't fold up anymore. I would still buy it again, though, as it still works and everything else has held up well. I was orginally going to get a three wheel one, but DS2 used a 2 wheel one when we were visiting and picked it up in a couple days.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom
    We have a basic Razor A scooter from Target. My 3 and almost 5 yo use it all the time.
    I thought Razor A's were for 5 years + (http://www.razor.com/products/a-scooter.php)? These are the 2-wheeled ones, right? Does your 3 year old use it as well? Just curious, as I see the tweens in my neighborhood riding around like crazy on these, and I figured they were too dangerous for littler ones!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama
    I thought Razor A's were for 5 years + (http://www.razor.com/products/a-scooter.php)? These are the 2-wheeled ones, right? Does your 3 year old use it as well? Just curious, as I see the tweens in my neighborhood riding around like crazy on these, and I figured they were too dangerous for littler ones!
    Yes - that's the one. The 3 yo uses it and does quite well. We have the handle bars lowered to be at the right height for them. He is actually getting pretty fast on it, but they don't do tricks or anything and we live in a pretty flat area so there aren't any big hills. It's not any faster than the balance bike. We always use helmets, but I'll admit to not using elbow and knee pads.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I would get the Razor. Toysrus has them on sale for $19.99 fairly often. My DS got one when he was 4 1/2 and mastered it immediately. I don't think it is very dangerous and he does wear a helmet. Prior to the Razor he had a Orbit Scooter which has 3 wheels. He liked it but you have to work a lot harder to go anywhere. The Razor just glides. Plus the Razor has a brake which is great. We live in a neighborhood that is all hills and DS has no problem going down.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I think *most* kids have the balance/coordination around 4 for a Razor, though they may need to practice to really get the hang of it. I know my kids love these and I love that they are pretty portable! We can fit them in the car on trips and always have a way to burn off some quick energy. We got them around Thanksgiving last year at Target for $19. They are not good for rough terrain or grass, only smooth pavement.

We also have a 3 wheel scooter that is great for on grass, and as a starter scooter. I don't think it has a brand name on it though and was a gift. It has foam never flat nubby tires and is red with a black frame. Maybe someone else knows what that is?
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~