Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm currently reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" and she addresses this .

1. If it is a modern person/modern name then you add an additional 's - "Chris's car is in the shop being repaired" "Mrs. Jones's daughter is in my class this years"

2. If it is an ancient name (Moses, Jesus) then you only add an apostrphe and no additional s - "Jesus' twelve disciplies" or "Moses' angry outburst at the Egyptian"

HTH! (and I sincerely hope I'm remembering it right...)
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post

1. If it is a modern person/modern name then you add an additional 's - "Chris's car is in the shop being repaired" "Mrs. Jones's daughter is in my class this years"

2. If it is an ancient name (Moses, Jesus) then you only add an apostrphe and no additional s - "Jesus' twelve disciplies" or "Moses' angry outburst at the Egyptian"

I have also read that when referencing Jesus you should use Jesus' vs. Jesus's.

But that otherwise, you should use Charles's. However Charles' is also correct too supposedly.

How's that for clarity?
    DD
    DS

Thank you so much for this thread, OP! We're probably naming DS something that ends in an 'S' (s sound, as well), and I was wondering how to handle the whole possessive thing.

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post

Why would it matter if the name is modern or ancient? That seems like an odd rule to me. I guess per the CMOS, I am old fashioned, but I omit the final s, pretty much always.

So, if you are using the modern/ancient rule, what do you do with Jesus' binky or Jesus' baseball (as in a modern child with the ancient name of Jesus)? I know quite a few boys names Jesus and at least one Moses.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

DS2 ends in "s" - my brain told me that it should be just the s' - but the more I wrote it, I just didn't feel comfortable. From what I read, pick one and be consistent, so I now do 's for him. It looks like I say it. I blog about him a lot and I think around four months I did the switch.

my youngest daughter's name ends in an 'S', with a soft 'S' sound. I use the apostrophe alone, without the added 'S'. It's what I learned in grammar school, and since I am old enough to be calling it "grammar" school, I suppose the rule might have changed since I learned it. As long as it is still optional, I'll do it the way I learned it.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2