Default Anyone have an Ikea Sniglar crib?

I'm looking for a very simple crib for a very small space, and the Ikea Sniglar looks promising, but the problem is that my Ikea doesn't have a sample crib built in the store (they have all the other cribs in the showroom except the Sniglar). They do have it in stock, but they told me that this crib sells so well they don't need to have a floor model on hand to sell it.

I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable buying a crib without seeing it in person first, but I wanted to see if anyone owns this crib who can comment on whether it is sturdy and well-constructed. I know that it's low to the ground and very minimalist-looking, but am hoping for feedback on its safety and quality in your opinion.

I would be buying a non-Ikea crib mattress, so my concern is just with the crib itself. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Amber, mama to my sweet boy born 1/12/09

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the older version of it with the solid sides (the new SNIGLAR has rails all the way around). It is very sturdy (yesterday, my 5-y/o and 3-y/o were climbing in and out of it) and easy to put together/take apart. I have generally been very happy with the quality of IKEA's children's furniture and although I like the styling of the HERMELIN better than the current SNIGLAR, I would not hesitate to buy an IKEA crib if I needed another one. I also have been happier w/ IKEA mattresses (we have 4, including a crib mattress) than with regular mattresses.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Thanks, Caroline

I like the style of the Hermelin too, but at my Ikea it only comes in bright blue which (since the crib will be in our bedroom at first) I'm not sure I'm ready to embrace.

I just noticed a new version of the Gulliver crib that is wood-colored (can't tell what kind of wood yet) rather than white, so that might actually be promising:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/10421/

It's good to know that you've liked your Ikea mattresses, I will have to look at them more closely.
    Amber, mama to my sweet boy born 1/12/09