Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mongo is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default over-the-crib changing table

I am looking for a changing table that I can place over and between the top of the crib. I know of the rail rider, but in order for the rail rider to lay level it looks like you need to lower one side of the crib. Since I have a fixed side crib where both sides are the same height, this will not work.

I also know that Oeuf makes a changing station that sits over the crib, but this seem way to expensive for what I want to do.

I also know that this exact concept is used widely in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, but when you factor in exchange rates and shipping, the price is still high.

Apart from making my own, does anyone have a product in mind that I can use for this purpose?

I have a small nursery and don't want to buy a changing table. Moreover, the dresser we have is too small for the changing pad.

Any suggestions?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Personally, I would recommend the option of converting a dresser top to a changing table, not the over-the-crib thing. I laugh now when I remember considering that option (my DD is 2.5 now) - the number of times we had projectile poop and pee while changing infant diapers, I can't imagine having to change sheets and disinfect the crib if the changing table was right over the crib! I would encourage you to consider a changing pad on the floor, or on a dresser in your bedroom if need be.

We used the Bellini changing table attachment on top of my dresser and absolutely loved it. We used it until my DD was potty trained a couple of months ago. Something else to consider - your child will probably be in diapers for 2 years or more - will they fit in something that sits over the crib, and will that be safe once your child is mobile and can stand?

ETA I just saw your comment about the size of you dresser
    Last edited by citymama; 08-08-2008 at 04:09 PM.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I looked into every variation of this - - the oeuf, the one from Ikea, something wooden and cute that attaches to the wall that I had to email a German store about . . .

And, I agree with the PP - - don't do it. Our changing table is our favorite thing. We had lots of projectile pee. And husband and I found it just too scary having our increasingly wriggly baby in anything but a secure space up against a wall. Especially as they get older and start flipping like marlins during diaper change. If I could have back the hours I spent agonizing over this one.

If you are on a budget, go to IKEA and get the Hemnes dresser with three drawers and put a changing pad on top of it.

I ended up getting one at PBK (store only, not online) that has three small drawers then two shelves and the diaper changing top, retails for $399, I got the floor model for $199 and I love the whole basket storage for the baby's clothes and diapers, very convenient.

Default ikea changer?

Which changer from Ikea goes over the crib? The only thing I saw was something that folded onto the wall.

Yes, Ikea goes on the wall - - we looked at both over the crib and on the wall to save space.

I was going to suggest the rail rider but I just read your original post.

Maybe you should consider a changing pad on the floor that you tuck under the crib and pull out or maybe a crib with a very sturdy bottom pull out shelf - - of course you are bending which gets old fast. Or you could buy the Oeuf set but it is pricey especially given that you may find it both difficult with the squirming baby and a little gross with the diaper mess.

I sympathize, our baby's room is 8 by 10 and I was able to fit everything in only by buying lots of shelves, the sleepi crib, using the diaper changing area for clothes storage and buying shallow depth white cubbies rather than a normal dresser and using baskets for additional storage.
    Last edited by sste; 08-11-2008 at 01:15 AM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Can you put one in the hall or anywhere else if the room is too small - or put the dresser in the closet and make room for something at the proper height? For the amount of changing done over a 2 year period, I could see awkward bending really taking a toll on your back, esp. at the beginning when changes can be 10ish times a day for a month or so..

Default size constraints

I am having twins and I live in a Manhattan apartment. Every inch counts. I'd like to save space any way I can, but by the same token, I understand the mess that may be involved in the over the crib idea. I thought about using my own dresser as a changer, but since it's almost brand new Ethan Allen furniture, I really don't want that ruined with the same mess that was mentioned earlier. It seems like the best option is to bite the bullet and set aside separate space for a storage unit (i.e., a dresser) as a changing area.

there are benefits to having your diaper changing area in your living room - - that is probably where your twins will spend most of their time and with two you probably don't want to be running back and forth to a separate room. I would check out the ikea hemnes dresser which is fine for this purpose and blends into alot of settings - - my husband and I also looked at ALOT of dressers.

I also like the closet idea. If you had the space you could create a "desk in a closet" using the office/closet system at the container store - - elfa, its pricey but nice. You can build shelves all around the desk. I think there are sales on elfa shelves in aug/sept and on everything elfa in January. Anyway, you could use the "desk" part as a changing table - - you can even place it higher on the runners that the system hangs on. When your twins outgrow it you can use it as a desk/storage area. The only issue is that elfa is cut to order so you would probably want to be in your apartment for a while.

Default changer

Living in NY I'd like to avoid buying anything that will be customized to the apartment, b/c I likely won't be able to reeuse anything once I leave. I'll take a look at the Hemmes dresser. Is it suitably low enough though? I was thinking of the Malm 3 drawer dresser since it's top surface seems to be at least as large as a standard changing pad. and it only costs $70, which to me is disposable-enough if I have to move in a year.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the Oeuf, and honestly, it was great -- for a really limited time. Once DD started moving around and standing in the crib we had to take it off and put it on the floor when we put her to bed. Now it just mostly stays on the floor, so no space savings there.

I guess we've been really lucky -- no messes to speak of yet; and I do like that the one time she wiggled off the table, she landed in her crib rather than on the floor. But it wasn't really worth the $$ in hindsight.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast