Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    amyff is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alrusso
    We have been waiting for 5 months and were just matched last week! We are doing a domestic adoption within our state...only 2 counties away. This is our first child. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet.
    Congratulations, Angela!
    I am so excited to hear about any new developments!
    We just finished our homestudy on Fri. We are hoping to be approved by our agency this month and then we are in the pool!
    WooHoo!
    Amy

My husband and I have adopted domestically twice. Both times, from the time we became active, to the time of the birth, was 9 months. Go figure!

Here is how we travelled, and if we do it again, there is not much I would change.

1. I went 2 weeks befor the due date and stayed in the same city as the birth mom. Both births were induced and my husband was able to come the night before.

2. I stayed in a Marriot Residence Inn. Huge 2 bedroom apt. with a full kitchen. Buffet Breakfast and light dinner included most nights.

3. I did not buy much baby stuff ahead of time. Knit caps, tee shirts that do not snap at the bottom, long baby night gowns and swaddle blankets. Most everything else I purchased as needed or received from the hospital. I bought the pack and play and the car seat once the first baby was born. When the second one was born, I put the car seat and baby clothes in a large duffel bag and checked it on the plane. The pack and play went in a second duffel bag and traveled with my husband.

4. Flying back we did purchase a ticket for the baby. That allowed us to check everything except the car seat, which the baby stayed in the whole time, and what we needed for the flight. Bring at least one diaper for every hour of travel time. I was amazed at how many we went through.

5. Back at home, the baby slept in the pack and play for a few weeks until we purchased a crib. We bought a snap and go to use as a stroller. We borrowed a swing and some other equipment until there was a shower when the first was about 8 weeks old.

Good luck to everyone as you start out on your adoption journey. All the hard work is worth it. When I think about it now, if just one second of my life had been different, I would not be where I am today, with these amazing children. I tell them everyday, how happy I am that I was picked to be their mommy.

Kathleen

Default Domestic Adoption

We had word from our Social Worker that she completed our Home Study and submitted it to our Adoption Agency on Christmas Eve.

The "unofficial" word is that we are approved but we still need to hear from our adoption agency. We also have to submit our profile book but it looks like we are officially waiting.

DH says I can start purchasing baby gear after the 1st of the year.

We are in a slightly different situation then others here but i thought i would chime in. We are doing an international adoption and after just 5 months and 3 weeks on the wait list we received a referral on tuesday of a beautiful 6 month old boy. We should be flying to Ethiopia to bring him home in 3-5 months.
    Renee

Hi everyone! My husband and I are hopeful adoptive parents, and we're in the waiting period of a domestic adoption. I'm so thankful for resources like these forums. Going into a store like BRU can be so intimidating if you're not sure what you're looking for!

We're hoping to adopt a baby between 0 and 12 months of age. I'm trying to do my research ahead of time on the necessities (car seat, bottles, formula, etc.) so that we don't have to stress out if we get a sudden call

anng is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Hi!

We were approved to adopt domestically as of 8/08. I feel like I am an expert on strollers, cribs, etc. because I have been researching them like my life depends on it.

I haven't really purchased anything yet. My mom bought us a couple of onesies, and I got one pack of diapers because I couldn't stand it anymore.

I am so tempted to also get a crib and carseat, but I am trying to hold off as long as possible.

I have also crocheted a blanket

Best of luck to everyone!!

Ann Marie

Our court date for our boy in ethiopia is march 31st...we are hoping we pass and can travel next month to bring him home. His room is ready, clothes are bought. We have strollers and a car seat and almost everything we need. Except that final shopping trip for food and diapers when we get the information on what size he is and what he's eating.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbrightRC View Post
    Our court date for our boy in ethiopia is march 31st...we are hoping we pass and can travel next month to bring him home. His room is ready, clothes are bought. We have strollers and a car seat and almost everything we need. Except that final shopping trip for food and diapers when we get the information on what size he is and what he's eating.
    Congratulations, that's wonderful news!! A colleague of mine was recently matched with a little boy in Ethiopia as well, and expects to travel in May or June. Best of luck to you!

Smile Update

Last time I wrote, we were matched and waiting for our baby. I'm happy to report that our son Zachary was born on November 11th. He is a domestic adoption from within our state. We brought him home at 2 days old and he is now 4 1/2 months old.
    He is our only child and I am going to be 44!!! I enjoy reading your posts and I pray for a quick match for each of you. Believe me...the wait will be well worth it! We were matched 5 months after our profile became active and although that is pretty fast, the 5 months felt like an eternity. I think it's because it is all you can think about and the time just seems to drag while you're waiting for that phone call.
    I'm looking forward to reading about all of the upcoming matches. Keep positive and your day will come :-)

Angela

Congratulations on bringing home your son Angela!
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast