Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Do you give your child fish oil/flaxseed oil supplements?

So the low carb thread has had me researching... I am not going to change my dcs' diets (they are 2.5), but I am a little concerned that they aren't getting enough fat. Not intentionally but just because of what they typically eat. I am usually not big on supplements - I prefer to try and meet their needs through a variety of foods, but we don't eat fish or red meat, they don't drink milk (they do eat a lot of cheese and sometimes yogurt). They don't really like peanut butter etc. They do eat a lot of avocado, though.

I was wondering about fish oil or flaxseed oil. Does anyone give either to their young kids? Which one/what brand? Ummm, is fish oil safe? (One of my big concerns about fish is the high amount of toxins)
    TIA!

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I give my kids (3 and 6) cod liver oil every morning (pure oil, not the chewable capsules). I give 1/4 tsp each. We use the Nordic Naturals brand- its peach flavored and not bad. The oil feel is more icky than the actual taste.
    Surprisingly, my kids enjoy taking it. We make a game out of it- we all take hold our drink in our hand and take a swig as soon as we get the oil.
    Daniella
    Mom to 3 DDs (02, 04, 09)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We give Nordic Naturals or Carlson's lemon oil. Both of my kids love it too (far more than I do). DD usually protests that she can only have a small amount...she always wants a second helping

We also really promote eating a lot of dietary fats around here in general.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use a strawberry flavored brand (I don't have it at hand but I think its nordic naturals). I chose it specifically because it said on the bottle that they test for heavy metals (eg mercury) at their lab and that this fish oil has had no detectable levels of mercury/heavy metals.

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use a strawberry flavored Nordic Naturals, DS is 21 months.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! I am going to try to sneak more fats in - I don't leave them out intentionally. They just seem to prefer a lot of fruits and even veggies! (I'm not complaining).

I will look into the supplements mentioned and see about adding those

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

With what you described, what about offering a lot of full-fat dips to up the fats along with the fruits/veggies? You could do whole fat greek yogurt seasoned with some garlic, onion, and other savory spices for dipping veggies, or hummus with a little extra olive oil, or tsatsiki...

or you could use the yogurt plain or sweeten lightly and have them dip fruit, etc. in it.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have thought about giving fish oil to the kids but haven't really looked into it in detail yet. I am taking it and will continue to throughout pregnancy and probably BF and maybe longer. Would love to learn more about it.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

CAM7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I give my kids (2.5 yrs & 3.5 yrs) flax oil everyday. It's suppose to help with brain development. I've notice their skin is super soft now and healthy looking....and DD had some mild excema which is gone now.

For some kids it curbs behaviour problems and helps with sleep issues.

Search on MDC for more info... we use the Barleans brand. My DD (21 yrs) takes it now too...she says it helps with moods and sleep. I think it's helped regulate my cycle.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by CAM7
    I give my kids (2.5 yrs & 3.5 yrs) flax oil everyday. It's suppose to help with brain development. I've notice their skin is super soft now and healthy looking....and DD had some mild excema which is gone now.

For some kids it curbs behaviour problems and helps with sleep issues.

Search on MDC for more info... we use the Barleans brand. My DD (21 yrs) takes it now too...she says it helps with moods and sleep. I think it's helped regulate my cycle.

That is interesting! We're trying out not using lotion during summer since we're now living in a humid place, but Dora's legs, esp. her knees still look a little dry.

What type of flax oil do you give your kids (caplet, liquid, etc)? And where can I find the Barleans brand? Thanks!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast