AddiesMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Feds issue warning- Simplicity close-sleeper/bedside sleeper bassinets

Feds issue warning to parents after second bassinet death

The Associated Press

A government safety group is warning parents not to use a Pennsylvania company’s baby bassinets after babies in Kansas and Missouri were trapped and strangled in the product.

The “close-sleeper/bedside sleeper” bassinets, made by Simplicity Inc. of Reading, Pa., can allow infants to slip through the product and suffocate, said the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Simplicity Inc.’s 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 convertible bassinets contain metal bars spaced farther apart than federal standards allow.

A 5-month-old Shawnee girl died last week after became entrapped between the bassinet’s metal bars. In September, a 4-month-old girl from Noel, Mo., became trapped in the product’s metal bars and died.

SFCA Inc., the company that purchased all of Simplicity Inc.’s assets in April, “has refused to cooperate with the government and recall the products,” CPSC said. “SFCA maintains that it is not responsible for products previously manufactured by Simplicity Inc.”

Simplicity recalled about 1 million cribs Sept. 21, 2007, after reports of three deaths as well as reports that seven infants had become trapped in its cribs.
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

More information in this article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,6401002.story

I found a photo here:
    http://www.epinions.com/review/Simpl...t_168061341316

This is apparently a very popular model, so I'm cross posting the alert in the lounge.

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

SEPTEMBER? SEPTEMBER 07? The baby in MO died almost a year ago, and we are just now hearing about it?
    Ugh, makes me so sad...

ETA--Now that I'm less emotional, I'm assuming the recommendations on this bassinet were the same as most--3 mos. or 12 lbs. ? Still doesn't excuse a design flaw, but how do we get the word out to moms to check/follow weight limits, age recommendations, etc?
    Last edited by srhs; 08-28-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srhs

ETA--Now that I'm less emotional, I'm assuming the recommendations on this bassinet were the same as most--3 mos. or 12 lbs. ?
    These are actually larger and recommended weight is up to 18lbs. What blows my mind is that the compant that now owns Simplicity will not recall the product.... http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08378.html
    EXPECTINGMAY

Mom to my little princess Danica, born 5/08 & my little prince Ari, born 9/12

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Crud! We had that bassinet, BUT we never used it in that mode, only as a regular bassinet. My friend who I gave it to, just emailed me about the recall an hr ago...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Exclamation Update: Several Retailers cooperating in recall

Though the manufacturer is not cooperating, several retailers are:

Today, CPSC is announcing that the following retailers have voluntarily agreed to recall the product and provide a refund or store credit to consumers who return the product to the store where purchased:

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., of Bentonville, Ark. – (800) 925-6278 or www.walmart.com

Toys "R" Us Inc., of Wayne, N.J. - (800) 869-7787 or www.toysrus.com or www.babiesrus.com

Kmart Corp., of Hoffman Estates, Ill. – (800) 659-7026 or www.kmart.com

Big Lots!, of Columbus, Ohio – (866) 244-5687 or www.biglots.com

Target of Minneapolis, Minnesota sold at www.target.com only

J.C. Penney, of Plano, Texas – (888) 333-6063 or www.jcp.com

Model numbers and more details in the release here:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08381.html

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We have it, too. Sold under the Graco name (manufactured in Feb '03).

I will not be passing it down to my sister as I had originally planned.

ETA: We'll try taking it back to BRU (the model numbers are slightly different). Otherwise, we'll be tossing it out over multiple trash days so no one unknowingly tries to reuse it.

ETA 2: I did try calling Graco to see if they had any advice since the model number was slightly off what's being recalled (3000 / 2500 vs. the 3000CL and TD2500 on the lists). I thought, hey-- their name is on the product that's in our home, and they do list the Simplicity crib recall on their website. Anyway, it may have been the most frustrating customer service call I've ever had the displeasure of making. The woman was completely unhelpful and uncaring. I thanked her for being of no help whatsover and hung up.
    Last edited by hez; 08-29-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Graco & Winnie-the-Pooh Versions Added

ETA: Graco will be making it right. I'm sending the manual & part of the box. They'll send me a refund. I'm still bummed about the initial non-conversation I had with them, but I appreciate that they're making the effort now.

After we threw ours out because we couldn't find a matching model number... maybe this will help someone else. I've already contacted Graco to tell them the delay in responding to the recall was a disappointment.

-----------------------------------------------------------

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 11, 2008
    Release #08-396

CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Some Recalled Simplicity Bassinets Include Graco and "Winnie the Pooh" Brand

WASHINGTON, D.C. - - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is aware that some bassinets in the Simplicity recall announced August 28, 2008 include the Graco logo and "Winnie the Pooh" motif licensed by Disney Consumer Products. Consumers are urged to check their bassinets to ensure they are not using one of the recalled Simplicity models, including those with the Graco logo or "Winnie the Pooh" motif.

The Simplicity bassinets with the Graco logo were sold between 2001 and 2004. The Simplicity bassinets with the "Winnie the Pooh" motif were sold between 2002 and 2008.

The following retailers have voluntarily agreed to recall the product and provide a refund or store credit to consumers who return the product to the store where purchased:

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Bentonville, Ark.
    Toys "R" Us Inc., Wayne, N.J.
    Kmart Corp., Hoffman Estates, Ill.
    Big Lots!, Columbus, Ohio
    Target, Minneapolis, Minnesota
    J.C. Penney, Plano, Texas
    AAFES, Dallas, Texas
    Amazon.com, LLC Seattle, WA
    Bed Bath & Beyond, Union, NJ
    Burlington Coat Factory, Burlington, NC
    Buy Buy Baby Garden City, NY
    Chelsea&Scott LTD (One Step Ahead), Lake Bluff, IL CSN Stores of Boston, MA Fingerhut Direct Marketing, Eden Prairie, MN Frogs and Lily Pads, St. Johnsbury, VT Kohl's Department Stores, Menomonee Falls, WI ShopKo Stores, Inc., Green Bay, WI Sweet Pea Décor, North Beach, MD USA Baby #47, Overland Park, KS USA Baby #58, Brookfield, WI USA Baby #136, Berlin, CT USA Baby #141, Waipahu, HI USA Baby #142, Virginia Beach, VA USA Baby #147, Clovis, CA

CPSC learned that on August 21, 2008, a 6 ½-month-old girl from Shawnee, Kan. was strangled to death when she became entrapped between the bassinet's metal bars. This is the second strangulation death CPSC has learned of involving the co-sleeper bassinets. On September 29, 2007, a 4-month-old girl from Noel, Mo. became entrapped in the metal bars of the bassinet and died.

The Simplicity 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 convertible bassinets contain metal bars that are covered by an adjustable fabric flap which is attached by velcro. The fabric is folded down when the bassinet is converted into a bed-side co-sleeping position. If the velcro is not properly re-secured when the flap is adjusted, an infant can slip through the opening and become entrapped in the metal bars and suffocate. This warning does not cover bassinets produced in recent months that have fabric permanently attached over the lower bar.

Due to the serious hazard these bassinets pose to babies, CPSC urges all consumers to share this safety warning with day care centers, consignment stores, family and friends to ensure that no child is placed to sleep in a Simplicity convertible bassinet covered by this warning.

To see this release on CPSC's web site, please go to:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08396.html
    Last edited by hez; 09-12-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

czekit7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

FYI--My friend just gave me her slightly used bassinet...just checked the model number, and it's one of the affected bassinets. Although I know this post is old, I think that it should still be available for us all. I called Walmart--HQ, and they said that if I disassemble the bassinet, they will give me store credit towards future purchases. I rec'd the 3013 PRO 3 in 1 bassinet with cosleeper.
    Last edited by czekit7; 12-27-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add on.