Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snap election

A majority government has a majority of votes out of the total votes available (determined by the no. of mps). A minority government (like we have right now) is determined when the winning party (the Conservatives) have the most total no. of mps, but not a majority of total votes. I hope that makes sense, reading it back, I don't know. Minority governments can fall easily (was it Joe Clark that had a gov't that lasted a matter of days? - sorry, not so good with the modern Can. hist.). So, the pm will often call an election at his own time, rather than be forced to before the gov't folds.

I couldn't point you to any actual legislation, but Senators do perform an important role. One of the things they're been criticized for is non-representativenss (geographically). It was on Harper's slate for tackling with this government (the only thing I remember, I don't follow Can. politics closely) but I don't think he's gotten too far with it. Senators are appointed, sit for life, and determine? or decide upon legislation - as an American, this doesn't sit too well with me, but again, I can't give any specific examples, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it until I know more.

Maybe your DH was referring to the hockey team ?

I, also asked about if the leader of a party not winning their riding, because it was looking like Dion (I think, but am not sure) might not last time and I thought that that was really puzzling. DH had no good answer, but thought that either he could still be in charge, or that someone else within the party that had been elected would be asked to step down and give over their seat. I'm thinking he might have been making that up, so I wouldn't trust that answer. I should probably ask someone in the Pol. Sci. dept at school. I do know, though, that parties try to pick "safe" ridings to run their important candidates in, so that they'll be sure to win.

The party members decide the leader of the party at their convention. We watched the Liberal convention last year because I was excited about two academics dueling for leadership (sorry, I get excited about strange things) and it was very different than the US-style. Everyone holds pickets for their candidate, who then drops out, and they all trail over to the candidate that they're going to now put their weight behind. And then it happens again, until one remains. Lots of hugging and handshaking between opponents. It seemed a little more "united we stand" than I'd seen in the US, but again, just seen the one, and it might have been like that since the Liberal party was plagued with in-fighting over the past few years.

You should watch the Mercer Report - it's a total send-up, but also *somewhat* educational Just don't watch the "talking to Americans" part, I don't like that...
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How can you have more mps, but less votes?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    Dh tried to explain it to me last night.

This is what I think it meant:
    1. Each province has ridings
    2. Each riding has an MP
    3. When the MPs are elected, the group with the most MPs is the winner, and the leader of that party is PM.

What I didn't catch was what a minority/majority gov't was.

Also, what happens if the leader of the party doesn't win his or her riding? Who is PM then?

Come to think of it, who decides the leader of the party?

eta: he said not to worry about the senators, they don't really do anything but get paid to be there.

OK, about the senators, So true!

Wow, where to start. These might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_electoral_system

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/li...bs/bp437-e.htm

The Gov't of Canada is the Sovereign (the Queen's representative is the Governor General), the upper house (Senate) and lower house (House).
    The Senate is not an elected body. They are appointed, for life, and its basically a patronage appointment -- great pension if you can get it.

Elections are for the lower house of Parliament. BTW, during Federal elections, there are no other elections or measures or "distractions". You get one ballot with just the candidates running for MP in your riding. Judges are not elected here. Provincial and City/municipal elections are held separately from Federal elections.

Yes, each province has ridings for Federal purposes (they also have separate ridings for provincial purposes, those elected officials are called MLAs in BC, as well as municipal elections which are not, at least in BC, based on ridings, but rather slates). During a Federal election, the voters cast ballots for 1 person they wish to be MP for their riding. The candidate with the most votes wins the riding, regardless of the % -- its a first past the post system.

The party with the most MPs elected is the governing party. If they have a majority of MPs, it is called a majority gov't. This type of gov't is the most powerful because, in theory at least, they can get all their "wishes" passed in parliament (assuming the "Party Whip" does his job and gets all the MPs from the governing party to vote along party lines). A minority gov't is generally less powerful (though Harper has navigated it rather well IMO) because they have to strike "deals" with the other parties in order to get their support on votes. A minority gov't governs until the lose a confidence vote in the House, or their leader calls an election (when they think they can win, which is what Harper obviously thinks now).

Generally, the leader of a party is placed in a "safe" riding for that party. For example, Harper will run in a solid Conservative riding. Dion will run in a Liberal riding. On the rare chance that the leader of the elected party doesn't win his/her seat, the leader will generally have one of the "backbenchers" (jr members) step down and a by election will be held, with the leader being successful in that by election. I seem to remember this happening but honestly couldnt' tell you to whom (Martin?).

The leader of each political party is elected by the individual party members, usually at a convention. Somewhat similar to the US process. There are successive ballots, so if there are ten initial candidates for leader, there may end up being a number of ballots, and considerable back room arm twisting before a candidate ends up being elected/nominated by their party.

This document is interesting:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/li.../prb0546-e.htm

Item C3 in particular sums up the Western alienation issue. Historically, a Canadian election was decided by the time the polls close in Ontario & Quebec. That is because those 2 provinces have a majority of seats in the House. However, that is no longer, b/c of the Bloc Quebecois. When the Liberals basically had a lock-down on Quebec, the votes of the rest of the country didn't count, which is why they ruled for soooooo freakin' long.

Ask specific questions. My undergrad is in political science, though mostly US/Soviet relations and military strategy.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Nose around on the gc.ca website.

I found this:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/li...m_gov_01-e.asp
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

More on how gov't "works". http://www.parl.gc.ca/publications/P...emocracy-e.asp

Senators don't do much. In fact, they don't even have to show up to work at all. Grrrr.

They generally just rubber stamp legislation. Very very rarely do they do any actual work.
    Melissa

I'm still not getting how a minority gov't happens - if the party hasn't got the most MPs, how can it's leader be PM?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    I'm still not getting how a minority gov't happens - if the party hasn't got the most MPs, how can it's leader be PM?

The party that has the most MPs *is* the PM. However, if that party does not have a majority of seats in the House, it is called a minority gov't. My last link says there are 308 seats in the House. So, a majority gov't is one that has 155 seats or more.
    Melissa

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    Now I have to figure out how to vote from down here... I am getting well versed in the US election process. That'a all anyone talks about. I wonder what everyone discusses when it isn't election season. Oh wait, it is ALWAYS elections season, I think!
    Just to let you know, depending on your situation in the US, you might not be able to vote. DH and I can't. Read the link that Melissa provided carefully! After we moved to the US, when an election call seemed imminent, we requested the info and started filling in the forms. They mean it when they say "temporarily" residing outside Canada, you have to put down the date on which you intend to return to Canada to live again. Since we couldn't do that, we couldn't vote. Now we're past the "5 years outside Canada" point and can't anyway. Let me tell you, as someone who has voted in every election I could since I turned 18, I have found it very hard to sit through elections on both sides of the border and not be able to vote in any of them!
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

C'mon guys, noone liked my Senators joke? I was pretty proud of myself considering I know next to nothing about hockey...
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    The party that has the most MPs *is* the PM. However, if that party does not have a majority of seats in the House, it is called a minority gov't. My last link says there are 308 seats in the House. So, a majority gov't is one that has 155 seats or more.
    How many MPs per House seat?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast