Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Snap election

1 seat for 1 MP

Melissa, thanks for the detailed, and accurate (unlike DH's) answer!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." ~Jack Layton

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is having more than two parties the bit that's confusing me? A majority gov't would have more than half the seats, and a minority gov't has the seats split up somewhat evenly among 3 or more parties?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Well, say that there were 100 total seats in the House of Commons (there aren't, but I'm not so good with the math thing). In this *fake* scenario in the last election the Conservatives won say, 40 seats, the Liberals 25, the Bloq 20, the NDP 14, and the Green Party 1. Melissa may have the real #s, but I think those are *close* percentage-wise.

So, out of all 5 parties, the Conservatives had the most, but a majority of total seats in such a scenario would have been 51. So, they had the most seats, but not a majority. It was similar with the previous government with Martin also having a minority gov't which is why it fell. When a minority government, like now, wants to pass legislation it likes to make deals with the other parties so that their total combined votes (which would be 60 here) would not defeat it. So, you get some interesting partnerships, like the Conservatives working with the Bloq (although, of course, alot of the Bloq's base was made up of former QC Tories...)
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." ~Jack Layton

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    Is having more than two parties the bit that's confusing me? A majority gov't would have more than half the seats, and a minority gov't has the seats split up somewhat evenly among 3 or more parties?

Yes, the # of parties here can be confusing.

A minority gov't doesn't necessarily have seats split evenly between the three or more parties (can't remember if the Green Party has gotten official party status yet, don't think they met the legal test under the Elections Act, but they are taking that to court). A minority gov't is any gov't that doesn't have a clear majority (which I'm pretty sure is 155 seats).

The current minority gov't is a good example. The Conservatives have far more seats than the other parties (~127? or so). But, b/c they don't have a clear majority, if all the other parties vote against them, they can't pass legislation. If the vote is a confidence matter (usually budget), they will call an election. There is no law saying that, but its the "practice" in Parliament.

Harper's minority has lasted so long mainly b/c of the Bloc Quebecois preferring to vote with the Conservatives instead of the Liberals (which makes the Conservative and Bloc a coalition minority gov't, b/c the Bloc has agreed to vote with the Conservatives on important measures). The Bloc may very well help Harper win a majority in this election b/c the Bloc will take seats away from the Liberals in Quebec. Any party that helps take seats away from the Liberals will help the Conservatives.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    How many MPs per House seat?

Yup, like Molly said, 1 MP = 1 seat in the House. Literally. Which is part of the problem with changing electoral boundaries and increasing the number of MPs. I'm not sure they actually have anywhere to sit! In gov'ts that have overwhelming majorities, there's not enough room on the gov't side of the house (the Speaker's right hand side) and some have to site on the other side ("across the floor") with the Opposition.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    C'mon guys, noone liked my Senators joke? I was pretty proud of myself considering I know next to nothing about hockey...

Girlfriend, we don't joke about hockey in these parts. That's serious business, far more important that some silly election!

Melissa

Default Current number of seats in the House

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/ab...tandings-e.htm

Conservatives = 127
    Liberals = 95
    Bloc = 48
    NDP = 30
    Independent = 4
    Vacant = 4

So, in theory, if the Liberals and Bloc voted together, they would have 143 votes, more than the Conservatives, which is why the Conservatives have only a minority gov't.

However, in practice, the Liberals and Bloc are unlikely to vote together. Like Molly said, many Bloc MPs are either former Conservatives or from former Conservative ridings. On most issues, other than Quebec separatism, the Bloc more closely aligns with the Conservatives. That is why Harper has had a relatively well-functioning minority gov't -- b/c the Conservatives have been able to form a coalition with the Bloc.

Also note that the Liberals and NDP currently have fewer combined seats (125) than the Conservatives. This is important -- Martin's previous minority gov't was basically a Liberal/NDP coalition (b/c those two parties are more closely aligned).

HTH
    Melissa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3