ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default daytime naps too long, is that a problem??

this is probably very silly...

but my baby sleeps A LOT during the day. she's 4 months old.. and though she's not a great sleeper at night (1-2 night wakings), she's a sleeping monster during the day. morning naps are usually the longest, ranging from 2-3 hrs normally.. but they've gone way beyond to 5-6 hrs even!! they only get that long when i fall asleep too after not being able to go back to sleep... if i'm up and about though, i'll wake her up if she's not stirring after 3 hrs. if we're home, her schedule is basically: wake up, feed, play for about an hour and i start seeing tired signs so i put her down in her bed... she'll stir for 2-15 min and fall asleep on her own, sleep for 3 hrs usually in the morning. wake up, feed, play for 1 hr, sleep for about 2-2.5 hrs in the afternoon. depending on the time of day, she might do another nap around 5 or 6pm but it's more like a cat nap--1 hr or less.

yesterday, her morning nap was about 6 hrs.. granted, sundays aren't good nap days bc we have church and she can't seem to nap well outside the home. so i'm not sure if she was just crashing from yesterday or if this is a serious problem.

i've read 4 sleep books...but none of them talk about sleeping too much, only too little. am i just crazy to think she has a problem... or, do you think it could be something she needs to get tested for?

things to note too, she's a very chill and relaxed baby. doesn't cry much at all.. only if she's really really tired and can't fall asleep. fusses very little too, again, only when she's tired mostly. when she's awake, we do mostly tummy time now and she's very good at it... rolls over and plays by herself mostly now. in bed too, she'll roll over and sleep on her tummy.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

first off, 1-2 wakings at night at 4 months old is AWESOME! Sounds like everything is great with your baby. 4 months is still very young and the periods of wakefullness are only going to be 2-3 hours max (from wakeup to asleep). If you are really concerned or she is hard to rouse, see your ped. But overall sounds okay to me!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

thanks for the reassurance...

the more i observe ds though, i think she sometimes gets her nights and days mixed up when she doesn't get to nap like we usually do. last night, i had her in our bed just so i could keep patting her every time she got restless. her eyes were WIDE open at 2am.. sigh* and then at 3am, 4am.. o boy.