Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Potties: stand alone or "retro-fit"

I'm starting the slow process of PTing DD, which is going very well for her age (17 mos). At least twice a day she tells me that she has to pee and we go on the big potty (she's obsessed w/ restrooms now too "Pee Mommy, pee!". I know she's young & we have a while to go, but DD#1 was all done by 2 and I hope this one follows in her footsteps.

What I'm wondering is would you get a potty like the Baby Bjorn or just get the one that fits into the adult seat ring?

I am afraid that I'll confuse her if I get a little pot to sit on (+ she takes things apart constantly & would run around the house w/ the pee cup!). On the other hand I don't want to make it difficult in the future for her to get up on the potty in time - even w/ a step stool.

For our older DD (13) I had a little one and graduated to the adult pot. This time things are reversed.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If she's going on the main potty with no problems I'd just get her the retrofit, not bother with the little potty. I got the retrofit seat first, then the little one. Although Dora was much more willing to sit on the little one before she started seriously training, she has not actually peed in it once. Once she started training it was only on the retrofit. So there the little one sits, totally unused. Maybe I can sell it on CL for $5 or something.

I got the Baby Bjorn reftrofit and it is awesome. I love the big splash guard. I got a First years seat for the downstairs bathroom, and the splash guard is a joke. I've had pee run over twice now. It also wiggles, in spite of the little sticky pads you put on it. The Bjorn seat has an adjustable block in back and it really keeps the seat solidly in place. Well worth the extra money. If Target had them I would've bought another one when I was looking for a 2nd seat.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

My dd was potty trained in a few days when she was 21 months old. We used the ring on the adult potty. One less step so we did not have to then get her used to the big potty. She is now 4 and does not use the ring anymore.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Bjorn little potty in the house at first - then it went into the back of the car for our out-and-about potty. She really only went in this one a few times in the house before she wanted to use the Bjorn insert on the real potty. We did get the big Bjorn also, just because I found it for $4 and couldn't pass it up. That's where the dollies were PTed.

The Bjorn insert is fabulous.

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Retro fit and I recommend the Baby Bjorn one as well.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I prefer the Baby Bjorn stand alone potty, the one with the back, especially if your child is smaller.

We did that in one bathroom and the other has a flip n flush. I do not like the flip n flush thing, although I thought that is what I wanted.

I think you child will be smart enough to figure it out either way! Alek naturally transitioned to the big potty and he's a taller kid so he didn't have a lot of problems with getting on and off.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If she is going on the big toilet, then I think you can stick with that.

I have two stand alone potties and two rings. I originally planned to just use the rings as I didn't want to deal with emptying a little potty, etc. Then I was faced with a very hesistant DS1 who was not advanced at all in gross motor skills. He was scared to death to sit on a toilet and couldn't balance at all. We used the little potty for many months and then were able to switch to the Baby Bjorn ring. DS2, OTOH, wouldn't even look at the little potty and went straight to the ring.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trendykid-FS00...3036985&sr=8-1

we have one in the downstairs powder room and most of the time our guests can't even tell it isn't a normal seat. We have another one upstairs in the kids' bathroom.

My son has found it simple to use and I love that there is nothing extra to wash or to store anywhere. Initially we tried both a stand alone and a toilet ring and I got tired of continually cleaning the stand alone and never found a good place to leave the toilet ring. Kind of grossed me out to have it just hanging out in the bathroom.

I bought the bjorn potty seat with the high back. I found that dd was more comfortable at first using the smaller potty. I tried the inserts, but it was harder for dd to get onto the toliet. She is potty trained now, and still uses her bjorn potty. I do plan to get a small bjorn potty for the car as there has been times it would have been handy.

What great information!!!!

Maybe I'll get a ring and the Bjorn (I never ever thought about the car use). Life would have been SO much easier w/ DD1 when she had to *pee now*. Dumb question: What do you do with the pee if your out and about? There aren't enuough hours in the day for me to think this one through
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast