Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 11 month old has never slept through night

Any ideas? My 11 month old wakes up multiple times at night. On average 5 to 6, but sometimes as much as 11 to 12. And then, even after all those times, he is up at 5:30 or 6 every morning. Takes 2 one hour naps a day if I'm lucky.
    I've tried everything behavioral to do with him I can think of. We're even investigating sleep clinics, but in the mean time, we are on 11 months of sporadic 3 to 4 hours sleep per night and feel like I'm losing my mind! I have a 22 month old too, so sleeping while he naps is out of the question.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is he nursing during those times? What time does he go down for bed at night? Is he approaching any milestones? Teething?

At 14mos, DD is still waking 1-2x's a night. She was probably waking 3-4x's per night before her first birthday. I saw a big increase when she was teething and just before she started walking. Once that was out of the way it went back to 1-2x's a night.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

He takes a bottle and goes to bed at 7:00. He is starting to walk and is in the process of cutting teeth. I'm not sure that it's a milestone thing with him, because he has always been this way. He has never slept through a night with less than 4 wakeups.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could he have reflux? I don't have any personal experience with this but from what I know, it can be much worse at night and really disturb LOs sleep.
    Perhaps it's worth exploring with your ped to rule out any medical causes. IMO 2 or 3x's a night would be "normal" (if there is such a thing) but 6 or more x's a night does seem a bit much if it is a constant, ongoing issue. You must be exhausted!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

HOLY COW I thought I had it bad .

Don't have advice, just wishing you luck !
    Traci

Mom to Sydney Nicole & Jacob Hunter

Thanks, I appreciate the thought.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I expected you to say 2-3 times/ night, which is what my 10.5 mo still does. But, wow, 5-6+ sounds just awful! I would definetly rule out reflux or other medical condition. Something doesn't sound right at all.

It is true that an overtired baby sleeps worse but it's a hard, hard cycle to break.

GL! I hope things get better!

Beth

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Amy was like this and it was reflux. I would suggest talking to your ped about it. Don't expect miracles though. She went from 5-6 wakings to 2-3 wakings on Zantac. Although honestly if felt like heaven in comparison....

She now only wakes once a night and even occasionally sleeps all the way through.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I noticed your name is I love coke, do you drink caffeine or decaf? Are you breastfeeding? I am not sure if caffeine goes through breast milk, but DD is always up more when I drink caffeine, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. No medical correlation, just my experience.

I'm not nursing, so I don't think the diet coke has anything to do with him, but helps me throughout the day! Legal stimulant.

I've had him looked at for reflux, because that was one of my initial thoughts as well. He doesn't appear to have that. I've requested the pediatrician look into sleep clinics for us, so we are waiting on a reply from one at the Children's Hospital. It's just so hard to wait when you are so tired. Patience is not one of my strongest qualities anyway, particularly on no sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast