bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Election thoughts?

I'm bummed about yet another minority gov't. I'm surprised at the Liberal melt-down, somewhere PET is rolling over in his grave.

I'm listening to Harper's speech right now, his French has certainly improved.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I will be honest that I haven't followed things closely over the past few days due to a horrible workload. DH has been watching though, and hinted that it looked like another minority govt. I'm not too keen on having another of those for a number of reasons, but mainly because this means we'll be going through this yet again in the not so distant future. The Liberal meltdown is disappointing as well...although our riding appears to have swung back from the Bloc, which may be interesting, we'll see.

I watched the French leaders' debates, and I was impressed with how well Harper did with his French. He must have been working quite hard on it between the last election and this one.

Personally, I am a little ticked that my swearing-in will be happening next Fri...and too late for me to have voted Not that I'm upset about that overall, it's been 7 years coming, it's just that I was so close to being able to vote. Mind you, the conundrum of being Anglo in Quebec and feeling that you *have* to vote for a certain party, and the total lack of choise that many Anglos feel here, I guess I have a year or so to come to terms with that!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am perhaps more depressed about this election than all of you! I live in Rob Anders riding. Once voted the worst MP in the whole country. Sigh. If only people didn't vote for the party and actually did some research into the candidate. I know alot of people that voted just to try to get him out. No such luck.

I agree - I'm not pleased about another majority government. I will be watching over the next short while to see if Dion steps down... anybody think it will happen??
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by EllasMum
    I will be watching over the next short while to see if Dion steps down... anybody think it will happen??
    Media here says there is a source saying he will step down today, but his "people" have denied it will be today (ie, they aren't denying he will step down).

While I can't stand Dion, Ignatieff or Rae or even Justin Trudeau are perhaps more worthy rivals that could give the Conservatives and Bloc a run for their money in Quebec and Ontario. Sometimes, the devil you know is a better choice, KWIM? Obviously, if I were a Liberal, I'd be saying anyone is better than Dion.

FWIW, he'll be only the 2nd Liberal leader not to get elected as PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Yeah, I'm not happy it's a minority again either. Liberal candidate got in in our riding. He's had the seat for 15 years ( Goodale). I think that was the only Liberal seat won in the province.