LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do you store DVD's?

Our DVD collection is staring me in the face, in 3 large Barrister cabinets. I'd love to be able to sell all 3 cabinets for a little more living room space, but where oh where to store the DVDs? In boxes in the basement, via inventory on each box?! There's well over 200 DVDs.

Help!

Laura

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Drat -- I would SOOOO buy the barristers cases from you if I lived even remotely closer....
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599
    Our DVD collection is staring me in the face, in 3 large Barrister cabinets. I'd love to be able to sell all 3 cabinets for a little more living room space, but where oh where to store the DVDs? In boxes in the basement, via inventory on each box?! There's well over 200 DVDs.

Help!

Laura
    I bought a black binder thing for them. It holds 8 per "page" (4 front/4 back) and zips up. I store the binder in the doors on the bottom of the TV armoire. The DVD cases are in a box in the basement.

I resisted doing this for a long time, but really appreciate it now. We don't watch movies frequently enough to have them taking up valuable real estate in the living room. I forget how many the binder holds, but is it a lot.

The kids' DVDs have a little binder that I got from the Dollar Spot.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Coffee table with a drawer that slides out both directions. LOVE it. I just reorganized (alphabetically by genre-- total nerd) and now I love it even more
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Default Either Binder System or Envelopes/Sleeves

I really want this system:

DiskSox DVD Storage System

But it's $1+ per DVD....adds up fast.

Option 2 is the binder but then it'll be REALLY thick and we'd need 2

Option 3 and what I'm leaning towards:
    Plastic resealable bags from uline.com coupled w/ the paper CD envelope for the disk. See through....then i can get a cute basket or two to store them.

Oh the decisions.....

but we did score a new media console tonight and the existing one is being picked up on Saturday AM via craigslist! Progress

Laura

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

the coffee table in the room with the DVDs is a trunk coffee table and stores a ton of DVDs. This is it: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=985&f=2854. Of course DH is a film nut and we have way more than can even fit in the trunk (literaly, probably 1000 DVDs... this is a problem unto itself), so we also have another DVD storage wall unit.

Default My Finds!

I started working on my solution last night and LOVE what I found.

I finally made it into The Container Store and knew i had to find something. I love to shop online, or at least search online, but not knowing exactly how I wanted to go about it..in person was better!

I came out of the store w/ 5 different ideas from a case logic binder to sheet protectors, to 5x7 photo pages (too small) and a set of archival, acid free clear bags.

The clear bags are the winner - plus they were $3.99 for 25 bags so economical too (especially since i'm working with at least 250 DVD's!).

The paper sleeves fit perfect and I can seal/reseal the bag if I want to (i probably will because aside from a few recent DVDs 95% of them aren't touched for the most part).

Once done, I'll organize them by genre (I think) and put them in a nice basket or wooden box.

I went with this:

www.clearbags.com
    Item # RP 75

This is going to save soooo much space!

I'm hoping to be done with this over the weekend!

Laura

I redid out DVD collection over the summer. I had the issue of what to do when more than half of your collection lacks their original DVD box.

Backstory: Hubby was deployed and we got him one of the miss BIG thick cd binders to store all his dvds, cd, and video games. Let it be known nice binder plus LOTS of sand not a good idea lol.

I also had to put into consideration that me and him are a tad lazy... putting disc back into their boxes even if we had them was a bet of a laugh.

So my solution:

Bought a couple of these: http://www.laserline.com/ipod/catalo...s-p-16190.html

and a couple of these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20115458

currently two boxes hold all the movies, one for audio cds, and one for games. all four sit on the a shelf on the entertaiment center.

There's an empty box next to them so that when we take something out we put the sleeve in the basket, hopefully when the disc is finished being used it will go back into the sleeve... or atleast into the box. so that on cleaning day one can feel mightly productive about refiling the discs.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ooooh ikea is a good idea. Our dvds are currently in the master bedroom as far as they could get from the tv in our living room. They are in a bookcase that looks tacky and takes up too much room. It is probably the worst solution I can think of, and I've been wanting to re-think it, so thanks for the ideas!