Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Libraries are my favorite places, yet I still have not ventured into one to borrow books with the girls (I know I know). So all the books they read they own. As you can imagine they read them over and over LOL! Sometimes I ask for recs, and when people ask about gifts we always say books. In fact, for Arwyn's first birthday we asked for books. My BIL came up with a clever limmerick we put on the invite.

There are still a TON of books for little kids I have never heard of. At some point I will be brave and take both kids there. Probably during winter when it's too cold to go anywhere else

I was going to get Dora a subscription to Ladybug for Christmas, but now I'm wondering if you can borrow them from the library. Anybody know? I know normally mags are not in circulation but do they make exceptions for children's mags and have several copies?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy
    but now I'm wondering if you can borrow them from the library. Anybody know? I know normally mags are not in circulation but do they make exceptions for children's mags and have several copies?
    Yes, our library has these and loans out all but the current month's issue (all back-issues). Also you may ask the children's librarian what happens to the old issues (when do they discard them)--I left my name w/ our children's librarian never believing I would ever hear from her but one day she called with a small stack for us. It was great.

We find books at thrift stores, garage sales, library sales, etc. I have justified my purchases b/c our library has a very limited selection and it drove me crazy looking for books there. But I think I have almost maxed out our shelves for 0-5 and I am now trying to be really disciplined about what comes into the house in hopes of making room for big kid books.
    K

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There are still a TON of books for little kids I have never heard of. At some point I will be brave and take both kids there. Probably during winter when it's too cold to go anywhere else
    I don't do a lot of library browsing any more if I have Amy with me. She is NOT a librarian's best friend LOL!!! With my library I can put books on hold on-line. I do that and then just run in and quickly check out. I'm often in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I try to take Sarah alone on the weekends so that she gets some quality time there to browse and explore.

My library does have magazines, but I'm too afraid that Amy will rip them up.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have many, many books. And now that DS1 is moving up to chapter and science books, we seem to be on a buying binge again. But most of the books have come from library book sales and consignment sales for 25-50 cents each. When we go to the library, we tend to come home with many books similar to what he's read recently (which is fine) but when the books sit on his shelf, he's more likely to grab something different to try. And for that price, who cares if they sit for a year or two and then go in our next garage sale!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Our library does carry magazines. You can check them out for a week at a time, except for the most current issue. One year I scored a huge stack of magazines (Ladybug, National Geographic Kids, and World) for a few bucks from the library's used book sale. What a great deal!
    Asianmommy

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our public library system is so the enabler....with a kid's card, there are no fines ever for late books, and - get this - not for lost books either. We've benefited from the first policy many times, but I'm still scratching my head about the second one. I think the SF libraries have lost many, many books to people just deciding never to return them!

Scholastic is good but hit or miss as well. About a third of my DD's books are hardcover books my MIL saved from my DH's collection as a kid - and amazingly, those are pretty much DD's favorites. Think multi-generational inheritance! ;-)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll hit up the library sale table and keep my eyes open for more used books. DS does have a growing reference section on his shelves, but I'd like to bring in more fiction, too.

I like the idea of just regularly culling through the used books that are out of favor so someone else can enjoy them next.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Also, I get ideas from book reviews in newspapers. The NY Times has a lot of reviews on kids books.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy
    In fact, for Arwyn's first birthday we asked for books. My BIL came up with a clever limmerick we put on the invite.

Melinda,

Would you mind sharing the clever limerick your BIL came up
    with for Arwyn's 1st birthday invitations?

Thanks!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We have tons of books. I have a slew that I bought as a classroom teacher and many more we've bought for the boys. The grandparents also buy books for the kids. I try to only buy what we love.
    Mom to 3 boys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast