EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Congratulations, Laura (Neatfreak)!

Just saw your updated siggie - congratulations on 'S'! Hope everyone is healthy and happy! Care to share any details?
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Susan, thanks for starting this thread, I was just coming here to do it too.

We need news.........
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yay!! Congrats Laura and welcome baby S. Please post details if you find a minute (yeah, right).

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hey, I've been away -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Birth story.....
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

congrats and .... welcome, S!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the good wishes! I have another baby girl - this one arrived on Oct 15 via an unmedicated induction, around 1:14 in the afternoon. I'm actually quite happy about the timing of her arrival - the time difference b/w Thailand and Canada is quite large, and S's birthday will still be Oct 15 when we move back to North America unless we end up on the west coast (where she would have been born at a quarter past eleven at night, Oct 14). I obsess over things like that!

It was interesting to deliver at a private hospital, versus Alberta's version of public healthcare when I had M. Here are some of the highlights:

1. I was "checked-in" rather than admitted, and my room had a "check-out time" of noon ...

2. All the hospital bathroom linens had the hospital logo woven into them, much like the Ritz Carleton does ...

3. S was brought back from the nursery to my room in the usual plastic tub/bassinet, but it had a sheet of saran wrap running across the top, except for about an inch that was left open at the top!

4. There were no mesh panties. Instead I was given what I can only assume were 1960's-style sanitary pads and an elastic belt thing that was far inferior. I really missed those mesh panties ...

5. Communicating with the nursing staff was a challenge. I usually had no idea why S was being taken to the nursery. She actually received vaxes for TB and Hep B that I had no idea were administered at birth.

6. The nursing staff were thoughtful caretakers. They really minimized their night-time disruptions (didn't turn on all of my overhead lights, etc.)

7. There was room service from Starbucks, who had an outlet in the hospital.

8. It was really nice staying for three days/nights as I saw my doc (who speaks flawless english with a British accent) on a daily basis, and a pediatrician checked in on S every day as well. Sure beats the trip that I made to the walk-in clinic at two days post-partum with M, certain that my stitches had torn ...

10. S received all sorts of crazy parting gifts. The most interesting: a commemorative plaque with a photo of her with her eyes open, looking stunned, featuring a pair of gold footprints. She was dressed up to go home in a hospital-branded footless sleeper, and swaddled in a matching blanket that was kept tight with a piece of tape! It made assembling her into the infant carseat for the ride home a little more time-consuming ...

We picked up her Thai birth certificate and the english translation today. Even that is kind of interesting as the birth certificate lists that she was born on the first day of the waning moon and was born in the Year of the Rat. Next, applying for Canadian citizenship ...

The sisters @ the hospital:

And S at home, after a sponge bath ...
    Last edited by Neatfreak; 10-27-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Congratulations Laura. Your little girls are both absolutely beautiful, and your birth story is certainly unique. Saran wrap over the bassinet and Starbucks room delivery - what a contrast, it's like the Ritz meets I-don't-know-what!?!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mazel Tov!!

Your birth story was fascinating. To give birth on the other side of the world in such a different culture. Very cool.

They're adorable.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Congratulations! She's beautiful
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow, Laura, that was an interesting birth story! S is precious - and her big sister looks thrilled! Congratulations!

Starbucks room service. Now that is what I call civilized!!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~