Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The local Catholic High School in my area is highly regarded and many non-Catholics attend. It is not a big issue - at least on the Catholic side and I am assuming it is not a big issue on the non-Catholic side since so many choose to send their kids there. Those who may be rubbed the wrong way are in the minority. Our parish Priest teaches at the school and really appreciates the thoughtfulness of the discussions & lectures that the "mixed faith" group generates. I'm sure no one wants a heckler in the class (any class, relgious based or not) whose soul mission in life is to shoot down everything you say, but that is certainly different than the discussions that happen when you bring in people from diffent walks of life (whatever those difference may be).

As others said, I would be more worried about your comfort level as DDs will be exposed to religion. If your comfortable with that, I'm sure DDs will be, too. If this school is a good fit, I'm sure it will be a good experience.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our Catholic School had a lot of Muslim girls in it. Their parents felt more comfortable with the morals, uniform etc. than at the public school even with the religious aspect.

I worked at an Episcipol school that had kids of all faiths. I had a Jewish friend growing up that went to Catholic High School.

It can be a good fit for anyone.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Smile

My husband is a Catholic Elementary School Principal. I would recommend that you contact the school & share with them what you shared with us. He does have non Catholic students. All of his students do attend Mass once a week but I remember when I went to school, there was a student who stayed in the office during Mass. Let me know if you have any questions.

Laura

I am looking into having my kids go to a Catholic School. I am Quaker (raised Episcopalian) so I don't have an issue with religion being taught. My poor husband was raised in a completely nonreligious household and when we went to Italy on our honeymoon, he could not understand anything in the Cathedrals. I'm standing there saying, ummm that's Moses and the bullrushes. So even if you are nonreligious, it is VERY important that kids learn about religion from a cultural relevance point--it is difficult to study literature without it, for example.

My son is now in K at the JCC and I have no issue with shabbat and celebration of Jewish holidays. As with Catholicism, if my son comes home and talks about something that doesn't jive with our beliefs, then it can become a talking point. (not exactly gonna happen when he is 6 and religion is just learning about being a good person) I teach my son to respect, acknowledge, and learn from all faiths so I enjoy having him exposed to different faiths.

A friend of mine has a 13 yo in Catholic school and theology class has been an interesting opportunity to discuss many issues--masturbation anyone?? The Catholic HS in our city has the most liberal, comprehensive sex/adult education class of any school here.

As for not feeling included, if kids start at a young age, they will learn prayers etc. If they start later, then someone needs to take the time to teach them the basics. While other friends are celebrating their first communion, that is a chance to talk about how we support our friends in their faith.

One issue you may want to consider, is what would you do if your child embraced Catholicism? Could you support her in that? There was one family at the parent info night I attended that just basically said they have not, and do not intend to, raise their daughter in any religious tradtion and they were concerned that the school would be "too religious". To which I wanted to say, duh, its a Catholic school. That child did not get accepted.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So much good, useful feedback here, I'm so glad for this site and the things I learn from it!

My poor husband was raised in a completely nonreligious household and when we went to Italy on our honeymoon, he could not understand anything in the Cathedrals. I'm standing there saying, ummm that's Moses and the bullrushes. So even if you are nonreligious, it is VERY important that kids learn about religion from a cultural relevance point--it is difficult to study literature without it, for example.
    ITA. Understanding the basic tenets of the major religions should be basic cultural literacy - and I'm confident that the Catholic schools would give a good academic background for them all - less confident that a public school would.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I dont think its an issue to send a child to a school of a different faith than your own- a Muslim attending a Christian School, A Christian attending a different denomination or a Jewish school etc.

It can easily become a 'talking point' about explaining the differences in your religion vs theirs. Esp since fundamentally, there are alot of similarities in the very basics of the religions.

But I do think it might be difficult to be raised w/o any religion or belief in a G-d and then being sent to a religious school.

I went to a Catholic school for most of my life and someone asking about the differences between 2 religions would never have been a problem but a child who came to class saying there is no G-d would not have been thought well of. other schools may be more progressive etc but thats how it was in ours. (a million years ago of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat
    It can easily become a 'talking point' about explaining the differences in your religion vs theirs. Esp since fundamentally, there are alot of similarities in the very basics of the religions.
    But there are definite differences. The New Testament does not exist at all for Jewish people. So it's quite difficult to tell a very young Jewish child what they are learning is not true or did not happen, if that is what you believe. I'm in this position now with my 5 year old not understanding why I prefer she not wear a cross around her neck.

If you are atheist, be prepared to answer a lot of hard questions. Know it's very hard to tell a young child this is how some people believe, but we don't. And while it's lovely to want to bring an appreciation of all faiths to your children, and I respect that as we are a multi-faith household, it's very difficult to do when they are so young and you are trying to fundamentally instill your own particular beliefs at the same time.

This isn't just my opinion but my personal experience. Hope that helps!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

As with many things, my answer is "it depends". By way of background, we're Jewish, and plan to send Abby to the excellent public schools in our town. But the high school has 4000+ students, which may or may not be an issue for her.

If it is an issue, we'll likely send her to an equally excellent Jesuit high school relatively near us. Conversely, the only prohibition (about anything) in our will says that she can not attend the Charismatic Catholic high school near my BIL and SIL who would be guardians. (Actually, it says she can't attend the Orthodox grade school either, now that I think about it!) Academically the Charismatic Catholic school is the strongest school in their city...but we strongly disagree with the theology they teach, the fact that girls and boys are separated in 9th grade and above because girls don't need as good of an education and/or may distract from the boys' education, etc. (It's actually the same reason she can't go to the Orthodox school, interestingly...)

And the two other Catholic high schools in their area aren't strong enough that there are very many non-Catholics, so that wouldn't be a choice either. (Although that's not in our will )

Net, I'd schedule a meeting with the principal, ask how many other non-Catholics attend, ask if you can speak with other parents of non-Catholics, etc. G/L with your decision -

Emily

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jd11365
    But there are definite differences. The New Testament does not exist at all for Jewish people. So it's quite difficult to tell a very young Jewish child what they are learning is not true or did not happen, if that is what you believe. I'm in this position now with my 5 year old not understanding why I prefer she not wear a cross around her neck.

If you are atheist, be prepared to answer a lot of hard questions. Know it's very hard to tell a young child this is how some people believe, but we don't. And while it's lovely to want to bring an appreciation of all faiths to your children, and I respect that as we are a multi-faith household, it's very difficult to do when they are so young and you are trying to fundamentally instill your own particular beliefs at the same time.

This isn't just my opinion but my personal experience. Hope that helps!
    I wanted to say that I have 2 mommy friends with boys the same age as mine that we get together with all the time. We are Catholic, they are Baptist and Lutheran. Ok, yeah they are both Christian denominations but they (especially the Baptist denomination) are VERY different from Catholicism and leave out/don't believe it some major points that we do. So, in that respect I understand what you mean.

When it comes to our boys asking questions (because we are all devoutly practicing our beliefs), there are always questions. But I explain them at a very simple but factual level. For example if I were you explaining the New Testament to a Jewish child, I would simply say that these are letters written by men 2000 years ago. They were talking about a man named Jesus. Some people believe he is really important, some people believe he is just another man like any other. This is what your father and I believe......This is how I explain tenants of our faith that our friends don't believe in. Then I put an emphasis on our beliefs.

It might be confusing for them as they are young but I think they will look for clarity as they get older and start to understand more. I don't know anyone who continuted to believe whole-heartedly what they were taught about God as a child and didn't have some questions later. jmho

About wearing a cross necklace, you could simply explain that the cross is a symbol that Christians wear. The star of David is the symbol that Jews wear and maybe buy her one to wear. (I'm assuming from your post that you are Jewish. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken. Please forgive me if I'm mistaken). I don't think I'd be too upset if my child wanted to wear the symbol of another faith since we don't believe in it and it carries no significance for us. But I can understand how others may be concerned about that.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

My husband and I attended Catholic schools from, elementary through high school. He also attended a Catholic college for undergrad. We send our son to a Catholic K-8 school. He attends mass once a week, prays daily and has learned so much about Catholicism and God in general. He comes home telling me a lot of things that have me kind of scratching my head at times (I joke that sometimes I am the non-Catholic Catholic if that makes sense). I would wonder how that would go over in a home that does not believe in a supreme being.

DH is not a fan of our local public school system and we lucked out that this school has an excellent academic program as well as many or more educational opportunities/technology than our public school. He loves it. I admit that dressing him in a uniform is quite easy. I enjoy the size (2 classes per grade in the lower grades; 3 in the middle school program) of the school and like knowing that the Principal/Teachers/Parents know who he is and value him being a part of the community. We live 550 miles away from our families and it is nice to have the support system.

I am also a big believer in respecting and accepting world religions and that can rub some the wrong way. I am also socially liberal and in some Catholic circles, there is issue with that. But I talk to DS about what I believe and what our family values in addition to what he may learn at school. Ultimately, it is DH and I that will hold the responsibility of what he becomes and I want him to also reflect our family values, even if they differ from the Catholic faith.

HTH! I think our school is great and could care less if the student sitting next to him was Catholic or not- it is a great school!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast