Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip
    Like any other denomination I think is is fair to say that Catholicism is not a homogenous group of people who all believe 100% exactly the same thing.
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. Every parish is different. I was just trying to explain what I think JeraW meant when she suggested the op look into how Catholic a school is. I think what she meant was to what extent the school integrates Catholic traditions into their activities and curriculum. Are they saying funny prayers or are they already incorporating the rosary into their day in kindegarten?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am a non-catholic who attended a catholic all girls high school. I was very happy with my experience and wouldn't choose to change it. If the situation arises when my DC gets to school age I would think about.

Yes, they do require you to take religion class and yes you do attend Mass but you are not forced into the catholic religion. Religion stayed in religion class but is the foundation of the institution-so if you are considering raising your child atheist you need to consider that. I received a great education, had a lot of friends from all backgrounds, and didn't feel out of place because I was not catholic. If I remember correctly religion class crossed into a wide area of personal expression not just about God and Jesus. I was raised christian so that might have made it easier for me to adapt but school never swayed me from my beliefs to the Catholic beliefs

I loved/hated the uniform. It was very freeing not to have to think about what I was going to wear each morning and if it was socially acceptable. I also loved going to an all girls school it took away some of the social stress and put the emphasis back on learning.

From a non-catholic, well educated individual catholic education was a great experience. BUT don't give up on the public school system-If we work together as a community our public schools can be great!

~C

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom
    I think what she meant was to what extent the school integrates Catholic traditions into their activities and curriculum. Are they saying funny prayers or are they already incorporating the rosary into their day in kindegarten?
    Thanks for clarifying. Lisa is right. For me, choosing a school that does incorporate more religion into everyday activities was important. However, for the OP, who is not Catholic, a school that is more liberal or one that places less of an emphasis on religion may suit her family better. It was wrong to imply that such a school would be LESS Catholic (or that people that attend there are less Catholic).

J

I am sure it depends on the school involved, but I (and my siblings) were/are not Catholic and went to a Catholic school as kids. It was a positive experience when public school in the area didn't work out for us. This particular school was run more like a private school with religion classes and the occasional mass (holidays and such).

A good school is a good school and my belief is that just because you are not practicing a particular religion, it doesn't hurt to be exposed to it from an educational standpoint as long as they are not singled-out for not being Catholic. Does that make sense?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4