Default Chicco Keyfit in Canada

Hi All - I've noticed on the babiesrus.ca and sears.ca websites that the chicco keyfit seats are now listed. So I'm guessing that means they have passed the necessary tests to be sold in Canada.
    Does anyone know where I might see/test one of these seats? Also, if they are now considered 'legal' to use in canada, does the seat have to be purchased here or can it be purchased in the us? I'm not too keen on the idea of buying a seat without looking at it first...
    Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I can't answer the 1st question, but for sure you can not buy a US seat even if its twin is approved in Canada. You can try to see a US Chicco in a store in the US and then see how you like it, but you can not buy it and use it. The labeling is different between the 2 countries and the testing is different, even if the seats appear to be identical in every way. There are big fines for out-of-country seats (particularly in BC, it seems the police crack down on it a lot... in Alberta, not so much).

If you have some time left, wait until the last minute to buy your seat and hope that by then the Chicco is available. You don't want to buy car seats too far in advance anyway since they all have expiration dates and you wouldn't want to find yourself with an older seat that needs to be replaced sooner than you are done with it (i.e. with subsequent kids). My other recommendation is to go with a Graco Safeseat unless you have a very good reason to want a Chicco. The SS is a great seat, costs less than the Chicco will likely cost when it does finally arrive in Canada, harnesses to 30lbs (14 months for my chunky monkey), and is easy to install and use. The Chicco would definitely be in my top 3 (along with the Graco Snugride). It is a great seat, no doubt, but it isn't the one any only great seat.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

try contacting chicco itself. i had problems ordering a specific model down here in the us, and their customer service reps are very knowledgable. i didn't see a canada number on their site, but try the us one, or just email them.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09