Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What are your hobbies-I need help!

We were out to dinner with a group of people that my dh might work with. One woman asked me what my hobbies where. I literally froze, what do I do. I mean, I don't want to say "bargain shop" but besides that I have two small children and a dh that works a lot so I don't have a lot of "me" time.

What are your hobbies? And how often do you have time for them.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I tend to freeze up with that question too for some reason. I usually say exercising and reading. Sometimes I will throw in tap dancing because that can be a big conversation starter (I haven't tapped in over a year now though and I can't say I am wild about it).

For some reason it's such an awkward question when phrased that way. It just doesn't seem to flow well into conversation.

Say "bargain shopping." It counts and could lead to some interesting conversations.

ETA my answer to your 2nd part- I read daily and I exercise as much as I can fit it in lately, which isn't anywhere near enough.

Beth

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have had those moments! I usually say reading (not sure it counts as a hobby). And then I have an acceptable book ready to mention (one that I have read). I do read a lot, but most of my books are ones that I am embarrassed to talk about with adults (nothing scandalous, I just read a lot of young adult fiction.)

Or I mention hobbies that I am interested in and don't have time for yet - like I really want to learn to sew or needle felt or whatever.

Or, if I have had a drink or two, I might laugh and say my hobbies are changing diapers and doing laundry! Just if I am in a snarky mood

I guess that doesn't answer your question! I read and I play on the internet. I plan to take sewing lessons in the near future...

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm an actor. I do community theatre, and every now and then, I get a paid gig. My DH travels Mon - Thurs each week permanently, so I'm only able to do this when the stars align just right. I do an average of two shows a year. If it's summer, I can get a sitter to watch DS in the evenings when I rehearse. If it's the schoolyear, it's harder, and so these have to be low-maintenance shows without alot of props or scene changes (hence, less rehearsal) or improv shows. Performances are always weekends, so that's not a problem. My parents and good friend help out when needed. I don't do any shows that require more than 2 rehearsals during the Mon - Thurs time period, unless it's a real big deal. Like I was in The Laramie Project and had a major role, so I made that work. But that's one show like that in the past three years.

I also write a monthly newsletter for my Star Trek fan club. However, that's really gotten lax. Monthly is more like quarterly now. DH and I got to monthly events/meetings for the club and usualy bring DS if it's appropriate. If it's not, we get a sitter or we just don't go. We used to be in charge of the club, but it got too hard with DS, so we stepped down. But we still go when we feel like it, if we are able.

I make hand-made boxed cards. It's not an every day thing. Every now and then. There's a holiday boutique at my son's school this year, I may try to do that. We'll see. Show has to come first, if that happens.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My main hobbies are knitting and sewing. I usually also say cooking and travel.

I was knitting a lot before Amy was born, but since she was born I've had very little time. I'm hoping to pick it up again soon.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Hmmm...let's see...hobbies...hmmm - laundry, cleaning, paying bills, running errands, playing with DD, taking her places, shopping for clothes for DD (out of necessity, not for fun) and working 20+ hours/week. Who has time for a hobby? Oh yeah, DH does. He's out in the woods all week this week.

I know what you mean. Whenever someone asks me that question, I have no answer. I used to read a lot, but now I usually just want to sit and stare at the TV or take a nap when I have some time to myself. I'm not artistic or crafty, so I can't say any of those things. It's hard when someone asks that, but I usually just say I'm so involved with DD that there's not much time for a hobby. Or, I tell them that I spend free time doing things with DD rather than a hobby. She is most important to me right now and that's what I want to do. I love taking her to dance class, going to Sea World with her and helping out at her school. DD *is* my hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid
    Hmmm...let's see...hobbies...hmmm - laundry, cleaning, paying bills, running errands, playing with DD, taking her places,!
    This is what I feel like saying. Maybe I will say it next time.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH is the one with the hobbies. Reading or watching TV are the closest thing I have to a hobby.
    DD
    DS

Reading, running, skiing, backpacking, wine & cheese appreciation , travel planning. I used to garden alot more. I used to do lots of stuff alot more--didn't we all. I also volunteer once a month.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

my hobbies are:

sewing
    smocking
    crafts (like handmade halloween cards or fabric covered button magnets)
    running/spinning- because i ENJOY exercise and think it is FUN to work out and sweat
    gardening- i used to have a big ol' veg garden, but i had to take a year off. but i still get into tending my plants.
    baking/cooking- i love to do cakes or cookies with elaborate decoration and i love trying different combinations or new recipes that have wiggle room

less official:

cheesy, girly TV
    drinking wine with friends on moms' night out
    being active and outdoors
    dining out with DH

can't find time to:
    learn to knit
    read
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast