Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think asking about someone's hobbies is a dated question like asking about someone's sign.

Not meaning OP, but rather the person at the dinner party.
    Last edited by Ceepa; 10-28-2008 at 08:11 PM.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually say something along the lines of, "I like all sorts of crafty stuff- scrapbooking, sewing, card-making- but I never have as much time for it as I'd like. I also love to read, and bake."

I go through spurts when I do more of that stuff, but I'd guess I average a couple of hours a week at my peak, and once a month when I'm not.

I've been doing a lot of sewing lately with Halloween and our Disney trip coming up. I haven't looked at anything for scrapbooking since May!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I say sewing, smocking, scrapbooking, reading, etc.

I use nap time, early mornings and after they're in bed for the night.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa
    I think asking about someone's hobbies is a dated question like asking about someone's sign
    Now that is funny, I never thought of it like that before.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hadn't thought of that either. I actually list mine on my theatre resume as "Personal Interests & Skills"

Star Trek, Presidential History, Marine Biology, Medicine & Human Anatomy, Musical Performance & Study, Regular Volunteerism & Charitable Causes, Animal Noises, Impressions, Pop Culture, Being Funny Whenever Possible, and Completely & Utterly Worthless Trivia

I hadn't actually looked at that in quite some time. I don't, however, list my sign. And I admit, whenever I am in the position to say, "what's your sign," I usually do it with a hippie, high as a kite accent and put "man" after it, like "what's yer sign, mee-aan" Cuz I think that is a kind of silly question :-)
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

I think asking about someone's hobbies is a dated question like asking about someone's sign.

somehow, i find the word hobby to be a bit dated. but "what do you like to do in your spare time?" is not dated. of course, most people just say they have no spare time...
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

I was just thinking about how I don't have any hobbies at the moment other than bfing a baby, changing diapers, potty-training ds, and general care and raising of two boys. I will go back to working 24 hrs a week hopefully by the new year, but that is certainly not a hobby. Am I the only mom of little kids who feels too overwhelmed and exhausted to have specific hobbies?

Past hobbies include travelling, reading, walking/running, yard-work (too utilitarian to be called gardening though), and cooking. Hoping to get back into travelling when dcs are older and the economy turns around. And I will put together a Thanksgiving spread so maybe that counts as cooking. Yard work and planting flowers has been relegated to dh for the time being though.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I disagree. Some hobbies like knitting can be very social. Knitters like to meet other knitters. Scrapbooking can be the same way. I love meeting other people that sew. Sometimes people have really cool hobbies.

I knit, sew and scrapbook. I love to read but for some reason, I never thinkg about that when listing off hobbies. As for time to do hobbies, yeah as a mom that gets tricky. It kind of sucks that it can take three days of 5-10 minutes here and there to make a bib that should only take 30 minutes. I usually keep a "car" knitting project or two. I work on it while waiting to pick up DD from preschool, while DH is driving, at the doctors, maybe the coffee shop if the baby cooperates.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I knit and spin (make yarn from wool, not stationary biking). When I can.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

reading, exercising (is that a hobby or a lifestyle choice?), crocheting, playing piano, photography (I used to have a darkroom in the house) organizing (I count this as a hobby because I get so much pleasure from it--I would do it for others). Or course, I have not had time to read, play piano (we no longer have one) or crochet these days. I mainly, exercise and take digital photos and crochet if I get more than 10 minutes to myself at night.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2