Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal
    This would piss me off, and I would call back and ask for a name of a ped allergist NOW!! It can take months to get in, so you should call and get an appointment.

Totally, and while you're waiting, keep a food/reaction diary.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yup. She is 16 months and she has been eating table food since she was 7 months old. I tried babyfood when we started solids but she refused ALL of it, so I have been doing single foods of table food since the very beginning pretty much. Although, she quickly moved to just eating exactly what we were eating (we waited to introduce things like eggs, strawberries, fish until the ped said it was ok). Add to that she never showed any signs of issues with any foods except milk. The ped did say that food sensitivities/allergies can occur pretty much at any time and seeing something at DD's age for the first time is not uncommon.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lablover
    Has she had beef before?
    I meant to ask that, too. I swear my DS has a beef intolerance/allergy/sensitivity but he has never been tested b/c has rarely had it and I forgot last time he had testing. Beef and other meat allergies exist!

Ok, I really do think I need to take DD to a ped allergist. Just wrapping my head around what I have to do to figure out exactly what is causing the rash on her face and tush is overwhelming. Not to mention how to really know if she is allergic to soy as well or if her stuffy nose is just that - a stuffy nose.

OYE!
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

lablover is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal
    I meant to ask that, too. I swear my DS has a beef intolerance/allergy/sensitivity but he has never been tested b/c has rarely had it and I forgot last time he had testing. Beef and other meat allergies exist!

Same here - DD got red dots around her mouth when I gave her ground beef last Spring. Weird thing is she's had beef hot dogs before at daycare. So I don't know if it was the form of beef or some sort of cross contamination issue with it. She was supposed to be tested for it this Spring at Johns Hopkins but somehow it was omitted from the form. I should give it to her again but I just give her chicken and turkey all the time and I'll try to have her tested at the local allergist next time.

HIU8 - When you get her tested I would have beef checked, since you mentioned giving her beef stew the other time.
    Mom to:
    DS - 2003
    DD - 2006

Thanks. I will.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Many children who have dairy allergies have soy allergies. With a peanut allergy in the family and a known dairy allergy in my DD, we avoided soy as much as possible. I believe it is a common allergen so I don't know why they did not tell you to avoid it.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Something just clicked for me - ummm.. beef = cow = milk and you mentioned milk sensitivity. I know at least one mom IRL who had to cut out any cow-related products while her DC was nursing. Just eliminating milk wasn't enough, she couldn't have beef either.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

When we figured out that DD had a milk sensitivity (not going to call it an allergy at this point since she has never even been tested) the ped told me to switch her to soy. That worked since she was 12 months old (we figured out the milk thing in less than a week because she was throwing up constantly). I've taken things into my own hands and switched to rice milk though.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Well, beef isn't one of DD's favorites anyway, so she won't miss it. I'm going to eliminate it as well and see what happens. I hope she doesn't get sick of chicken. She can still eat cheese and yogurt with no issue so at least we have that as well. She isn't crazy about fish, but I keep trying...
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast