Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We all carve our own and it is a family event.

Beth

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I usually do two pumpkins, although there's no rhyme or reason for that number. Last year I didn't even carve them at all, my DDs just used their Mr. Potato head like pumpkin decorations.

My DDs like seeing the inside of the pumpkin prior to it being cleaned out, but they refuse to touch or assist in the carving process because it's "yucky". DH doesn't care about them at all. So needless to say it's entirely my project when I choose to do it. Oh, but my DDs do like the roasted pumpkin seeds--that's about the only thing they seemingly look forward to regarding pumpkin carving!
    Jen

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DH is out of town otherwise I'd ask him for his recipe.

I know he baked them in the oven with olive oil. Then
    he took them out and added our Penzey's 4S seasoned salt
    plus cayenne seasoning (I think!).

The kids and I ate the whole bag of pumpkin seeds. Delicious.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

mdb78 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We only carved a pumpkin once about 3 or 4 years ago. Now with dd, we we're planning on carving again. Last year, we took her to the pumpkin patch, but she was only 5 months old, and she had no idea what was going on and we didn't buy a pumpkin. This year, we took her again and she had a blast grabbing the little pumpkins and carrying them around. I only wish that we had more pumpkin patches over here like the one we used to go to when we were living in CA. Down here, we had to drive like 45 min. to get to a good one where they decorated and made it look fun.

Anyways, I did most of the carving last time. I'll probably be the carver this year. DH doesn't really like to get messy with things like that.
    Mommy to DD#1 (05/07)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did the pumpkin patch/hayride/etc thing this year too- you have to check this place out- it's SO cute!

Anyway, this year I bought 3 for the first time- we usually just do one, but since they were 3/$10, I wwent a little wild. We always do the cleaning/carving together as a family. DH usually does the actually carving, and I usually do the cleaning. Jason usually refuses to touch any of it.

Last year, I saw a recipe for cinammon and spice pumpkin seeds, and it sounded amazing. I might try to hunt that down for this year. We just haven't had time to do our pumpkins yet, so I guess tomorrow will be the day.

ETA: link

www.southerntreeplantation.com
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

J is the resident carver. He does a great job and T eggs him into some pretty complicated designs, including a 4 faced one T drew, each with a different face- one happy, one scary, one with all the features in the shape of candy, one sad.

I am in charge of the seeds and using the sugar pumpkins to make pie filling. Which I will freeze till the holidays.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip
    I am in charge of the seeds and using the sugar pumpkins to make pie filling. Which I will freeze till the holidays.
    I'm on a mission to get this done myself (making pumpkin puree), but I've never done it! I saw a recipe recently (somewhere out there on the web LOL) that looked really easy...just leave skin and everything on and cook it down for a long time.

Just wondering if you have a preferred method to share

Sorry for the hijack
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DH has enthusiastically taken on passing down the "carving on Halloween day" tradition he and his father had. DS and I each picked out a pumpkin today. DH carved mine into a pumpkin pirate ship for a pumpkin decorating contest at work tomorrow - it was a joint venture: I had the idea, he improved and executed it.

DH plans to take DS back to store (no pumpkin patch for us as we ran out of time, last year we got DS's pumpkin at Gilroy Gardens) to pick out one for DH (and another for DS if he wants it). Then DH will carve the pumpkin(s) on Halloween day, as he has pretty much since I've known him. He plans to have DS help design the pumpkin this year - DS sorta designed last year. And DS got slightly slimey last year, mainly it was me cleaning out.

The first pumpkin DH carved for DS was Tigger on one of the craft pumpkins which we use as a night light for DS every year around this time.

As for the seeds - we don't really get into it, but I did save a few and they are soaking in salt water overnight. Tomorrow I will dry with a paper towel, season, and then microwave! I'm curious to see if that works. If it does, then I'll probably do it again on Halloween when DH carves the other pumpkin(s).
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Beth, the Pioneer Woman had a recipe on her website a couple of weeks ago. I remember that it looked pretty easy, but still more effort than I wanted to put in (as in harder than opening the can ). www.thepioneerwoman.com It's under the cooking section.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama
    Beth, the Pioneer Woman had a recipe on her website a couple of weeks ago. I remember that it looked pretty easy, but still more effort than I wanted to put in (as in harder than opening the can ). www.thepioneerwoman.com It's under the cooking section.
    Thanks so much!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2