purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Trader Joes Roasted Flax Seeds-safe for 1 year olds?

Hello!
    Kind of a "duh" question, I was all ready to add some of these roasted flaxseeds to DD's cereal, and then I thought, are they like nuts?
    Anyone know? I feel kind of silly calling my doctor to ask them this!

TIA!!
    B

DS
    DD

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know if this helps, but I started putting flax seed oil in dd's milk when she was about a year old and my pediatrician said that was fine.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The flax seeds should be fine but keep in mind... eating the seeds whole won't give her what you are looking for .... you need to grind them up in a clean coffee grinder or give her flax seed oil.

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G
    but keep in mind... eating the seeds whole won't give her what you are looking for .... you need to grind them up in a clean coffee grinder or give her flax seed oil.
    This I didn't realize. . . why is it better to grind them? Thanks!
    B

DS
    DD

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The whole (unground) flax seeds will pass right through your system. Grinding them gets all the good stuff out. (I always laugh about how many products that are out there that boast that hey have flax seeds in them --- then you open them to find that they are whole seeds so you are sort of paying extra for nothing! For example some waffles!)

If you buy unground seeds, grind up what you need for about a week, you can use a coffee/spice grinder or a blender, and put it in a container with a lid in the refrigerator. The ground seeds will go bad a lot faster than the unground ones and the fresher the better.

You can add the ground flax seed to almost anything too! 1 TBS of ground flax seed and 2TBS of water is equivalent to one egg when you are baking. (Some recipes it works awesome, some not so much.)
    Kim

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bethandcian
    This I didn't realize. . . why is it better to grind them? Thanks!
    Yeah think of the way some Corn goes right through people. Same thing with whole flax seeds. My mom and I were sprinkling flax seeds on salads etc... then we found out that you get the most benefit from them being ground to release all the good stuff! You can sprinkle it in a lot of things though from what I've heard.... smoothies, on salads, in hot cereal, in pasta sauce etc