Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Destination Help

DH is turning 40 soon. We have a 2 year old. He wants to take a nice family vacation instead of having a party. I'm stumped on where to even start. I checked out some cruises, which we have done in the past, but the offerings for the dates and locations we want are less than ideal. Then I thought about an all-inclusive Caribbean, but the prices seem really high, and I don't know which ones are good. Complicating this further is that I was thinking we'd decide where to go, and then I would let a bunch of friends and family know in case they want to join us . . . but I don't have a lot of time to coordinate plans, so I just want to tell everyone what we are doing and let them make their own plans. We are not athletic, so no skiing, adventure-type vacations. Any ideas would be really helpful! Thanks!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does it have to be someplace warm? One thing we enjoy doing as an extended family is getting a big cabin in the mountains of TN or GA. We usually do a big dinner, lots of game nights, some touristy stuff, etc.

If it does have to be warm, how about the FL keys?
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Are you Disney people? Or theme park people? Because that could focus your options. What about history? I would skip a big city with a 2 yo. Are you thinking Nov or Dec? Because then I would want to go somewhere where it wasn't freezing!! What about National Parks?

If you really don't have time to plan, then go for an all inclusive. Costa Rica is supposed to be amazing!! For any travel destination, check out www.fodors.com and www.tripadvisor.com These are great travel boards. I planned a week in France and a week in California wine country from these boards. You can search for posts on all inclusive resorts and you can post a query--they do it by country/state etc. And I have received great advice there.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

if you want to wait until next Summer, I'd recommend Tyler Place in Vermont!

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love dreaming of vacations, but I think we need more info!

How far do you want to travel? What time of year? Do you like scenery, beaches, mountains, relaxing, shopping, theme parks, etc etc?

I think anything is doable with a two year old, depending on what you want out of it. If it was going to be my once in a lifetime trip to a place where I had always dreamed of going, then I might wait until my kids were older. But I think big cities can be fun, all inclusives, cabins, beaches, etc etc.

Family Friendly destinations I have considered (but haven't gone to):

San Diego
    San Francisco/Big Sur
    Portland Oregon and area
    Phoenix/Sedona
    Tucson
    New Orleans
    Lake Tahoe
    Charleston
    Asheville
    New England (I am not too familiar)
    Any of the Nat'l Parks - Glacier, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand canyon, Bryce, Zion, etc

Caribbean - Turks and Caicos and Jamaica are supposed to be very family friendly

Mexico - Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Isla de Mujeres (Carribbean side)

Costa Rica - my number one dream!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Aruba? (safe enough to feel pretty comfortable going off-resort). We didn't do all inclusive when we went on the advice of our travel agent, and I'm glad we didn't. We had some great meals, wine, etc. and it was still quite a bit less expensive than an all inclusive resort.

Asheville is an awesome town (I was going to mention it and then I saw a PP had already, so I'll 2nd!) Not warm in late fall/winter, if that matters. But beautiful!

Thanks everyone! I guess my initial post was a little vague, right? We go to Disney a lot because we have relatives in FL, so that would not be a choice. DH's b-day is in April, but I am flexible in going after that as well. Beach/warm would be nice, but I also like the mountains/country. Just a fun place with enough variety to please DS as well as potentially the grandparents if they come. I considered Aruba, but after the Natalie Holloway debacle, I kind of feel like I shouldn't give them my money. Is that weird?

Do you want to avoid FL altogether, or just Disney? My sister has been to Sanibel Island several times and has encouraged us to go there as it is supposed to be very family friendly. She always comes home with tons of seashells and she says the beaches are fantastic. We haven't been able to get down there to see it ourselves, but you might want to check it out.
    Stacey
    Mama to DS '03
    DD '06
    and DD '10

for Samuel

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons
    Thanks everyone! I guess my initial post was a little vague, right? We go to Disney a lot because we have relatives in FL, so that would not be a choice. DH's b-day is in April, but I am flexible in going after that as well. Beach/warm would be nice, but I also like the mountains/country. Just a fun place with enough variety to please DS as well as potentially the grandparents if they come. I considered Aruba, but after the Natalie Holloway debacle, I kind of feel like I shouldn't give them my money. Is that weird?
    Sanibel is supposed to be nice as pp mentioned
    Hilton Head
    Kiawah
    Charleston
    Savannah
    Turks and Caicos
    Bahamas
    Jamaica
    We went to St. John USVI (pre kids) and loved it, but it seems like it would be difficult with kids
    Grand Cayman - we went with kids and had a great time
    Mexico - I mentioned some places above on Carribbean side, I am sure Pacific side has great spots too.
    San Diego - I want this to be our next family vacation.
    Puerto Rico
    A friend just got back from Aruba (no kids) and said it was great.
    eta: Hawaii!

The Fodor's carribbean forum will have good ideas!
    Last edited by fivi2; 11-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Lake Tahoe!

It's beautiful at that time of year!

PM me if you want a great rental deal on a great home in Lake Tahoe!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast