Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Was it hard to make the T-shirts? I just stumbled on that site yesterday and was amazed at what they do. Unfortunately we leave on Friday Nov. 14 so I am running out of time.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Colleen

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It just depends on how in-depth you want to get. If you do something like Kim mentioned, it's pretty easy. You basically pick a picture, print it onto an iron-on transparency, and you're done.

The ones I'm doing require a little bit more.... insanity on your part. LOL Basically, you pick a picture, then cut out little pieces of fabric- kind of like a puzzle- to re-create the picture. You can either iron it on- not as permanent, but probably good enough to wear a couple of times before it falls apart, or you can applique it, which requires stitching around each little puzzle piece. If you've never done it before, I probably wouldn't attempt it with less than 2 weeks to go. The iron on only method is more manageable if you're at least somewhat crafty.

If you check out the bookmarks on the first page of the boutique threads, there are instructions on how to applique. The one that says something about Heather's picture heavy tutorial is excellent, and walks you through it step by step.

HTH!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lori, your schedule is awesome. I'm a total planner, too, but I did it all by totally winging it. I wish I'd remembered this forum and come here first. I'm overall very happy with what we did, but I'd've planned meals better and probably not done the park hopper. Could have saved alot of money doing that knowing what I know now. A few more things (tho you appear pretty good!)

* If you want The Incredibles characters, they're only at HS. Can I still call it MGM? I miss MGM. Anyhoo, they're only at HS, and they are DS's favorite. In fact, his favorite is Frozone. Do you know how hard it is to have an Incredibles bday party for a 4yo when your favorite is Frozone? It's hard, ok? But lemme tell ya, when he saw Frozone, he RAN to him and threw himself into his arms and hugged like there was no tomorrow. HIs joy just made me cry. These guys are tucked away in an area I don't remember, but tehre was a Disney Animation presentation thingie there, too. But, FYI in case you're Incredibles people.

* At Animal Kingdom we ate at the Yak and Yeti, and it was AWESOME. We loved it. Not cheap, but on your plan, you should be good to go in case you want another option.

* I have to admit that we were a bit bored at Rafiki's Planet Watch. As a tree-hugger, I really wanted to go, and it was quite well-done on that end. But there's just not that much to do. We enjoyed the air conditioning.

* Speaking of air conditioning, I had the bright idea of going in September after Labor Day cuz the teeming millions will be gone and in school, and it won't be hot. Well, ding ding on part 1, but wa-wa-wa-wa-waaaaaah on part 2. We melted. I mean m.e.l.t.e.d. The heat was misery. So, my next bright idea is to move the trip to January. Ugh. This didn't end up being a recommendation, huh? Sorry.

* 100% agree that when you go to HS, RUN LIKE YOUR ASS IS ON FIRE to get the fast pass to Toy Story. We waited 90 minutes, and yeah, it was fun. But not worth 90 minutes.

* I was totally unimpressed with Honey I Shurnk the Audience. It was great in its heyday, but it's very dated in both technology and stylistically, and I was just ready to be done before I even set foot in the door. Skip it.

* On the other hand, the Muppets at HS always were and still are my favorite. just loved this show.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

One more thing. If you're overweight, as I am, you might be one of those that go thru the worry in amusement park situations where you worry about how you'll do fitting in seats or how the rides are configured or if there is alot of standing/waiting time or if there are turnstiles you might not fit thru. I worry alot about this -- as it happens, I had just about nothing to worry about at any of the parks. However, that's DISNEY. Universal Islands of Adventure I wouldn't even bother going to if you're not an ideal weight. Sad, but true. This is a secret kind of worry that gnaws at you and I know how that feels. I'm coming out to tell you that I understand and have a wonderful resoruce for you.

http://allears.net/index.html is a wonderful resource, and within it there is a section called All Ears At Large --> http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm. You wanna know what kind of seat each ride at each park has and what tricks you can use to fit into it and what the standign time is and if the Cast Members (CM's) are helpful? This is the place you wanna go. Alot of people have written reviews and said, "I'm a female 5'4" 300lbs, here's how it went for me." So, you can identify with the body type. Not all overweight is created equal, some people have belly fat, some people have asses that don't end, some people have big boobs and have shoulder harness issues. It's all in there.

My biggest hint --> If there is a practice seat outside a ride, it's a good sign that it's going to be a challenge for overweight people. Also, there are some rides that are made with certain rows containing larger seats or wider rows. Look into that.

Good luck!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom
    Kim,
    I've been working on a bunch of Disney things- I'll post some pics eventually. So far I've made a bunch of Mickey PJ's, and one set of Cars ones, a surfing Mickey tropical style shirt for DH, and I'm currently working on coordinating ones for DS and me for our Ohana's day. I'm appliqueing them. Have you seen the disboutique groups pics? Those women are amazing! I'm a total amateur, but it's still fun.

I am glad that you are enjoying your work. You've done a lot more than we did --- we left ours until the night before LOL! We had fun doing it too and the kids loved their shirts.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by MrsZaz
    Was it hard to make the T-shirts? I just stumbled on that site yesterday and was amazed at what they do. Unfortunately we leave on Friday Nov. 14 so I am running out of time.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Colleen

As Lori said, not hard at all. We did ours the night before and then made one last one the morning before we left. You totally have time. You can ask the Dis people to personalize something for you and they get back to you super fast! (We wanted a First Trip one for our ds) Otherwise, just look through their stuff and print it out. The directions are on the transfers. We got some short sleeved shirts at walmart --- buy extras incase you mess up. Just follow the directions exactly and use A LOT A LOT of pressure when ironing especially around the edges. They come out great! I would love to post the one that we made for DS's first haircut, but I don't know how...I'll ask DH. We made one for DD that was just clip art of all her favorite characters. Go for it --- you won't regret it!
    Kim

Kim,
    Definitely post some pics- I'd love to see them! I love the idea of the first trip shirt too!! That must have been adorable! All you have to do to post pics is upload them to a site like photobucket, copy the IMG code, and paste it into your post. If the pic is a huge file, you can reduce the size there as well.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy
    * If you want The Incredibles characters, they're only at HS. Can I still call it MGM? I miss MGM. Anyhoo, they're only at HS, and they are DS's favorite. In fact, his favorite is Frozone. Do you know how hard it is to have an Incredibles bday party for a 4yo when your favorite is Frozone? It's hard, ok? But lemme tell ya, when he saw Frozone, he RAN to him and threw himself into his arms and hugged like there was no tomorrow. HIs joy just made me cry. These guys are tucked away in an area I don't remember, but tehre was a Disney Animation presentation thingie there, too. But, FYI in case you're Incredibles people.
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! That is so sweet! Thank you so much for all of the awesome info. I'm afraid you owe me a new keyboard for that "run like your ass is on fire" line though.

I sooooooo feel for you going in September. I've done that many times (we used to live in FL, and we had seasonal passes for Disney, and Sept. was one of the months they were good for). It's one thing as a kid, but now- I just couldn't handle it. December is a lot more my speed. I plan everything around the weather. I even got married over Thanksgiving weekend b/c it was the end of hurricane season, but the temps avg. in the 70's. LOL I don't really mind freezing, but I hate sweating.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Okay, here it goes --

This is the one that the disboards disigned for us for DS's first trip. It was had to find one that DH liked. He wanted classic characters and the castle. They would have put DS's name, but we opted for nameless shirts.

Here is the one for DS. When they do the first haircut, they actually give the kids ears that have First Haircut embroidered on the back. (As well as a certificate and their hair wraped up with "pixie dust."

Here is the shirt for DD.

I wish that we would have done them a little further ahead of time because we could have done a lot better!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom
    I'm afraid you owe me a new keyboard for that "run like your ass is on fire" line though.

I meant to comment on that too! We didn't get to do Toy Story Mania bc DD decided to get a fever while we were at Playhouse Disney so we just came back. We did run like that to "wake up Tinkerbell" though and what a snore.
    Kim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast