Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Deleted

Default Deleted

Deleted. This thread turned into something that I did not intend. I feel I have been attacked and all but called a racist. I do not want my words quoted and misconstrued any longer. I was approached to edit part of a post as some found it offensive. I have been VERY offended by many of the responses here and feel I am justified in deleting my post.
    Last edited by randomkid; 11-05-2008 at 08:19 PM.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid
    His Mother was white, his Father black (Kenyan). That makes him just as much white as it does black, correct? .
    Yes, that's correct. But he is still (half) African American. Maybe mixed race is a better qualification? I think I see what you are saying (maybe) in that it would be more historic if his ancestors were once slaves in America. But a black, or mixed race president is still pretty historic IMO.

Per Wikipedia.......
    Most African Americans are the descendants of captive Africans who survived the slavery era within the boundaries of the present United States, although some are — or are descended from — voluntary immigrants from Africa, the Caribbean, Central America, South America, or elsewhere.
    DD
    DS

I don't see what is so difficult about it. Obama's father was Kenyan which is in Africa, which means Obama is of African American descent. People prefer the term African American to Black for whatever reason. And, in the US, what color people immediately see is what color they assume you are. Nobody would look at Obama and say he is a White man...they would say he is Black or biracial.

As far as your comment about him not growing up in an urban Black neighborhood....do you honestly believe that makes him less Black?! I know it wouldn't make me any less Latina even if I grew up in a primarily White or Black or Asian or whatever neighborhood.

It is historic if he is elected because he will be the first President of the United States that is Black...I still don't see how hard this is to comprehend.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Actually, while back I remember hearing that people will identify themselves as African American even if they are less than 1/4 African American. I don't know if other people of color (Asian, Latino, Native American) do the same, but I just remember it made an impression on me. So for other people to ID Obama as African American is nothing unusual.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Two things (I am guessing) - the one drop rule and the fact that, in the eyes of society, he is not seen as 1/2 white or biracial merely based on his appearance. Unless someone told you his Mom was white, would anyone guess or even bother to think about it? Again, just guessing, but he has probably been seen his entire life as a black man and that is what he mostly identifies with.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...d/onedrop.html

When you think of the biracial celebrities out there who also consider themselves black or AA, it seems to fit into who they identify themselcves by their life experiences.
    Last edited by icunurse; 11-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

In this country, it tends to be that if you have any "minority" in you, you are labelled as that minority. I think it goes back to slavery times when "one drop" of AA blood made you AA. I heard that in South america there are many more designations for different ethnic "mixes".

I think a debate over who's had it worse--women or minorities, is unproductive, as both have experience oppression in various forms.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What they said, but I also wanted to add that in America, anyone who has a drop of black in them tends to be classified as black. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, that's just the way it is.

And I would have considered it equally historic if a woman were elected- and heard the same thing said many times over on national news stations. I think Dem women would consider it not quite as much of a victory if that woman were Palin though, b/c a lot of us consider her policies anti-woman.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, sniped 3X over!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Also Deleted
    Last edited by randomkid; 11-05-2008 at 08:22 PM.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid
    No, what I am saying is that it would be no more historic than having a WOMAN as Vice President. There is this big deal about "Our First Black President", but nothing about "Our First Female VP". It has nothing to do with slave history, etc. It doesn't make sense. He's 50% WHITE as well. It seems as if some blacks want to identify with him, but he wasn't even raised in the same type of environment as many of the blacks who may be voting for him and identifying with him.

I just don't think skin color should determine a president and I don't see how it is so "historic" if he is elected, but it's not a big deal if Palin becomes VP. That's all I'm saying.
    I've actually seen a lot of coverage about how Palin being elected would be historic as well. Obama did work in Chicago's South side as a community organizer, which demonstrates his committment to urban black community. That may be a very strong reason blacks want to vote for him. Also, AA's are historically democratics. I don't think it's as simple as same skin color. Although, I do think seeing someone who looks like you "make it" to the highest position in this country must feel trememdously validating and gratifying.
    Last edited by mudder17; 11-05-2008 at 09:34 AM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast