Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Deleted

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74
    I don't vote based on gender, race, or religion. I vote and will continue to vote the issues and platforms - no matter the candidate. I think EACH president has been historic in his own right!
    Hey, nice pic of Parker!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid
    Deleted. This thread turned into something that I did not intend. I feel I have been attacked and all but called a racist. I do not want my words quoted and misconstrued any longer. I was approached to edit part of a post as some found it offensive. I have been VERY offended by many of the responses here and feel I am justified in deleting my post.
    I feel that your implying that only inner-city raised black people (and by that I take it you mean "poor, stereotypical, 'scary' gang-banger black people") are "true" blacks is racist.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Deleted. This thread turned into something that I did not intend. I feel I have been attacked and all but called a racist. I do not want my words quoted and misconstrued any longer. I was approached to edit part of a post as some found it offensive. I have been VERY offended by many of the responses here and feel I am justified in deleting my post.
    Randomkid, I'm sorry that you feel that way, certainly it was never my intention to make anyone uncomfortable, including you. You're certainly within your rights to take down your OP for any reason you choose.

But, I will say this: in my experience, when reactions of discomfort or offense are directed at me or something I've said, it's usually an opportunity for me to learn something, if I open myself to it. Perhaps once your feelings have settled down a bit, you might reflect on the responses in this thread with a less defensive eye. Again with no offense intended, some of your statements (as I recall them) did seem a bit naive, at best.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by KBecks
    Hey, nice pic of Parker!
    Thanks! We just had holiday pics taken as well!

Quote Originally Posted by C99
    I feel that your implying that only inner-city raised black people (and by that I take it you mean "poor, stereotypical, 'scary' gang-banger black people") are "true" blacks is racist.
    Yes!

I have just been watching Nightline and they did a segment on the reaction of the black population across the country to this historic election result. It was so touching and yesterday was truly a day of of mammoth proportions for them and for anyone sympathetic to their struggles. I knew it would be, but had no idea how potentially healing this victory could be.

The fact that people in this country are putting Barack's "blackness" into question or saying that he was exploiting his heritage for political purposes is despicable IMO. Thank goodness so many voters in this country were able to look beyond skin color.

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3
    Randomkid, I'm sorry that you feel that way, certainly it was never my intention to make anyone uncomfortable, including you. You're certainly within your rights to take down your OP for any reason you choose.

But, I will say this: in my experience, when reactions of discomfort or offense are directed at me or something I've said, it's usually an opportunity for me to learn something, if I open myself to it. Perhaps once your feelings have settled down a bit, you might reflect on the responses in this thread with a less defensive eye. Again with no offense intended, some of your statements (as I recall them) did seem a bit naive, at best.
    I too am sorry that you feel that you were attacked. If what I said offended you, I do apologize. Your questions never appeared to me to be motivated by racist ideas or hate, but I agree with dcmom2b3 that they were naive. While I can only speak for myself, I believe that my and many of the other responses were coming from a place of wanting to provide you with information and persepctives that you may not have been exposed to, as evidenced by your questions. I hope you find a safe person or persons with whom to continue your dialogue. It is an important one to have.

Quote Originally Posted by C99
    That's because you all have chosen to put your own little spin on everything I had to say. I will no longer try to explain myself. Maybe I didn't word things in the best way to convey what I was asking. I NEVER said those words that you posted above!!!!!

You presume to know me and what I am all about. You have no idea what my life and upbringing were like, who I associated with growing up and who I associate with now.

Honestly, I am quite pissed off about this. The mods asked me to edit a post because people were offended by it. However, it is perfectly fine for everyone here to attack me, change what I've said, continue to reply to a post I deleted and basically offend the hell out of me.

All the liberal democratic Obama supporters here can say whatever they want. If someone disagrees, they are attacked by many. I'm over it. I can't stand to spend any more time here as I'm sure if Obama totally screws up and turns out to have misrepresented himself, you all will come up with excuses for him. You will never admit it. I hope that doesn't happen because Obama being successful will only be good for all of us.
    I am sad to say that I am done, D - O - N - E with these boards!

Now, flame away!!!!! Oh yeah, and I feel totally baited - all of these things go against board policy, but that doesn't matter, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14
    I too am sorry that you feel that you were attacked. If what I said offended you, I do apologize. Your questions never appeared to me to be motivated by racist ideas or hate, but I agree with dcmom2b3 that they were naive. While I can only speak for myself, I believe that my and many of the other responses were coming from a place of wanting to provide you with information and persepctives that you may not have been exposed to, as evidenced by your questions. I hope you find a safe person or persons with whom to continue your dialogue. It is an important one to have.
    Because obviously it is not safe here. It is supposed to be, but it's not. I am not naive. I think I am totally the opposite. I grew up in an area populated by blacks. When I was 12yo, we moved to a bigger home in a nicer area. The school I went to was predominantly white. At the end of my first year there, they closed the school and I was bused back to my former neighborhood. I was thrilled! I got to go back and be where I was comfortable with all my friends.

Have I crossed the street or become nervous when seeing a black person in an isolated area? Yes, but I do not discriminate. I get nervous no matter what the person looks like. White, black, asian, male, female, whatever. It's called protecting yourself. I don't presume to think that only black people can be harmful (as was mentioned in another post here). I assume that any person at any time could harm DD or myself.

I may be defensive, but I don't feel like I need to LEARN something here. Maybe it's less historic to me that a black man became President because I DO view them as equal. I know that they have been mistreated, but *I* have never done that and have always treated people of any color as equals and friends. I live in FL for crying out loud. There are people here from all over the world. I work with people who are black, from India, the Phillipines, Puerto Rico, Honduras, and countless other countries.

You all know NOTHING about me. I may have worded my posts incorrectly and for that, I apologize. However, instead of taking the time to try and understand what I was asking or saying, I was strongly attacked. THAT is completely unfair and naive.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I NEVER said those words that you posted above!!!!!
    You questioned Obama's race and said that he was not raised in the inner city in the same paragraph. If it wasn't your intention to make that connection or make race an issue, I feel sorry that you weren't able to proofread your post to ensure that it didn't.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This thread has gotten progressively worse and the mods feel it's best to lock it and move on. If you have any issue with this, please contact one of us.

Thanks
    Karoly, Eileen, and Missy

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9