Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default consumerlab.com--fish oil recs?

Does anyone have a subscription to consumerlab.com? I'm looking for an omega-3 supplement and want to make sure it's safe. There are so many options, I don't know if the extra $$ for some products is worth it. TIA!

Also, do you store your fish oil in the fridge?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't have a subscription, but I've always heard Nordic Naturals and Carlson's have good reputations. You'll want to double check that for yourself, I'm sure.

I've also always read that it is good to have the refrigerated oils vs. "shelf stable" because rancidity is possible on the shelf, and that's not good (eta: I mean the ones you refrigerate after opening)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2
    I don't have a subscription, but I've always heard Nordic Naturals and Carlson's have good reputations. You'll want to double check that for yourself, I'm sure.

I've also always read that it is good to have the refrigerated oils vs. "shelf stable" because rancidity is possible on the shelf, and that's not good (eta: I mean the ones you refrigerate after opening)
    Thanks, I've heard that too about NN and Carlsons. I suppose I should make a trip to my healthfood store to check them out. Consumer reports said they found no contaminants in their tests and recommended going by price. They recommend Costco or Sam's club fish oil caps.

Also, Dr. Sears brand "Go Fish" said that kids need a different balance of DHA/EPA, that his has. But they're so expensive. I'm considering giving Omega 3's to DS too.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

The Environmental Defense Fund has ranked the best (and worst) fish oils out there... I found out about it through a site full of pregnant women

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536

I do take a non fish based omega 3 supplement since i am pregnant.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Davids-Coco
    The Environmental Defense Fund has ranked the best (and worst) fish oils out there... I found out about it through a site full of pregnant women

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536

I do take a non fish based omega 3 supplement since i am pregnant.
    Thanks! I didn't take them while preg b/c my ob said "no" and I couldn't find a nonfish based one.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

The Expecta one is supposed to be for pregnant and nursing moms... Its near the prenatals at our target and about $15 for 30 days worth. Omega 3s are supposed to be good at helping and keeping PPD at bay too.
    Have a nice day!

I take Trader Joe's Molecularly Distilled Fish Oil as recommended by my psychiatrist. She said that it's very highly rated and incredibly cheap compared to others of the same quality. I've never had a fish burp or any other problems with it.

(We strongly recommend that our patients take 2-4 grams of Molecularly Distilled Fish Oil daily(Trader Joe's Omega 3's) but, most people don't realize that the fishy smell of bad fish is the Omega 3 fats in fish being oxidized, which is a fancy name for turning rancid. Fish oil easily becomes part of your LDL cholesterol (that's good) but oxidized cholesterol is what's bad for you. So, you need to be sure to take adequate amounts of antioxidants when on a Fish Oil program so that your LDL doesn't go rancid inside of your blood vessels. You can accomplish this by maintaining your program of eating leafy vegetables, berries, and citrus, and/or supplement with400IU of mixed Vit E twice a day and Mixed Carotenoids (do not take more than 10,000U of Vit A) once a day. Studies have shown that these antioxidants will keep your fish oil laden LDL happy and unrancid.)

(A physician comments on the fish oil–flax seed oil debate

Epidemiologic evidence has pointed to the cardiovascular benefits of fish and fish oil for a very long time [1], gaining momentum in the 1970s with the observation that Greenland Inuits, with a very high omega-3 intake and very high fat diets had a very low risk of cardiovascular disease, but it was not until the large and well-conducted Italian GISSI Prevenzione [2] trial in 1999 which showed that a very modest 1gm supplementation of EPA & DHA significantly reduced mortality in post-heart attack patients that the medical establishment took widespread notice of fish oil.

As far as I know, there is no similar evidence base in favor of flax seed oil. Therefore, I would have a hard time saying that flax seed has nearly as much to offer as fish oil. We can extrapolate and theorize that flax seed oil should confer a similar benefit, based on its (much lower) omega-3 content, enough to recommend it as an alternative to fish oil for strict vegans, but I would call it clearly second best.)

So I take Vitamin E from Trader Joe's.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, that explains why the Nordic Berries were suggested for kids to take with the Nordic Naturals fish oil. Of course the Nordic Berries are the only way I can get Kaya to take the fish oil! Mika takes liquid fish oil (Berry Frutol) that's mixed with the berries, so that works for her. And I assume fish oil is actually fine for pregnant moms as long as it's distilled so as to be mercury-free? Is that the issue with fish oil and pregnancy?

Quote Originally Posted by graciebellesmomma
    I take Trader Joe's Molecularly Distilled Fish Oil as recommended by my psychiatrist. She said that it's very highly rated and incredibly cheap compared to others of the same quality. I've never had a fish burp or any other problems with it.

(We strongly recommend that our patients take 2-4 grams of Molecularly Distilled Fish Oil daily(Trader Joe's Omega 3's) but, most people don't realize that the fishy smell of bad fish is the Omega 3 fats in fish being oxidized, which is a fancy name for turning rancid. Fish oil easily becomes part of your LDL cholesterol (that's good) but oxidized cholesterol is what's bad for you. So, you need to be sure to take adequate amounts of antioxidants when on a Fish Oil program so that your LDL doesn't go rancid inside of your blood vessels. You can accomplish this by maintaining your program of eating leafy vegetables, berries, and citrus, and/or supplement with400IU of mixed Vit E twice a day and Mixed Carotenoids (do not take more than 10,000U of Vit A) once a day. Studies have shown that these antioxidants will keep your fish oil laden LDL happy and unrancid.)

(A physician comments on the fish oil–flax seed oil debate

Epidemiologic evidence has pointed to the cardiovascular benefits of fish and fish oil for a very long time [1], gaining momentum in the 1970s with the observation that Greenland Inuits, with a very high omega-3 intake and very high fat diets had a very low risk of cardiovascular disease, but it was not until the large and well-conducted Italian GISSI Prevenzione [2] trial in 1999 which showed that a very modest 1gm supplementation of EPA & DHA significantly reduced mortality in post-heart attack patients that the medical establishment took widespread notice of fish oil.

As far as I know, there is no similar evidence base in favor of flax seed oil. Therefore, I would have a hard time saying that flax seed has nearly as much to offer as fish oil. We can extrapolate and theorize that flax seed oil should confer a similar benefit, based on its (much lower) omega-3 content, enough to recommend it as an alternative to fish oil for strict vegans, but I would call it clearly second best.)

So I take Vitamin E from Trader Joe's.
    Eileen for Carmen

"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all." Thumper

Yes, the issue in pregnancy is mercury. However, with some supplements, it is not clearly noted and sometimes not even monitored. I just found it easier to take something not fish based.
    Have a nice day!

I take Carlson's fish oil. I like Carlson as a company, and their fish oil - and mercury testing - is rated very high quality.

You who know from my posts that I used to be a research chemist also know that I am very conservative about the chemicals I put in my body. Carlson's meets my criteria.

Btw, it should be noted that fish oil is different from cod liver oil. Much less vitamin a to worry about.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast