Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Effacement and dilation question

I had my 36 week ultrasound yesterday. Baby is head down and facing toward my back and I told her to not move. My doctor also did a cervix check for the first time. While I understand what effacement and dilation are, I don't really understand what they say about when the baby might arrive. It seems I'm constantly hearing people say things like "I was dilated to 3 cm for weeks before giving birth." I am 50% effaced, and while I felt better to know that something is happening (I have yet to feel a BH contraction), I'm not sure how this compares to the norm or what it means for the next month and a half of my life. Is there any pattern to effacement and dilation? Should I not worry so much about this? For the record, I'm more worried about having to evict baby at 42 weeks than going into labor tomorrow (which seems awfully unlikely to me.) Anyone remember how they progressed with their first?

~Lisa
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you much. It could be a week, could be 6. You just never know. My sister was one of those that was 3 cm and 50% for weeks.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, and definitely try not to worry about it. I know it's easier said than done.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Unfortunately it means NOTHING. I was 70% and 1 cm for like 2 weeks and DS1 came 2 weeks early. I would say that it just means things are happening. GL!
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Unfortunately it doesn't mean a whole lot. I know a lot of people that have been in the same situation and have gone late. That being said, I was in your situation at 36 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks, so I think it's different for everyone. Good luck!!!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Means nothing except where you are at that point in time. I've never been checked until 41 weeks with DD.

My SIL was 0% dilated and not effaced at all at 35.5 weeks and had the baby 12 hours later.
    Kris

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My OB is known among our friends for guessing very accurately when you will go into labor. She predicted my labor date and I was scarcely dilated and only moderately effaced. I asked her how she does it - - she said when her patients start to look too miserable to take another step she knows the body has had enough and that baby is outgoing!

Just wait until you feel profoundly physically miserable, there's a cheering thought!

Quote Originally Posted by sste
    My OB is known among our friends for guessing very accurately when you will go into labor. She predicted my labor date and I was scarcely dilated and only moderately effaced. I asked her how she does it - - she said when her patients start to look too miserable to take another step she knows the body has had enough and that baby is outgoing!

Just wait until you feel profoundly physically miserable, there's a cheering thought!

Ha ha, I appreciate the advice. I wasn't nearly so stressed about the timing until yesterday. Now I'm stressed that she'll do something like flip back over before I go into labor. Stay, baby, stay!
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Unfortunately none of it meant anything to me...
    I was a fingertip dialated and my water broke at 36 weeks.

I think they just tell you so you can have something to tell your friends that ask.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Pretty meaningless, IME. I contracted a lot about 3 weeks before my EDD and was 2-3 cm dilated and 80 percent effaced for weeks. DS was born 6 weeks before my EDD. eta: and oddly, my contractions finally *stopped* a week before i went into labor. No bloody show, diarrhea, etc. beforehand. My first clue was my water breaking, and my contractions immediately started 5 mins apart. DS was born about 6 hours after labor started.

With DD I refused checks until like the day before my EDD. I was barely dilated. She was born 2 days later and it was a super fast labor (2-3 hours)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast