View Poll Results: Did you like Michelle Obama's dress from Tuesday night (black with red in the center)

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I liked it, I would buy it.

8 7.77%
  • No, I did not like it.

82 79.61%
  • No opinion either way.

13 12.62%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have to say I thought it was a bit of an odd choice, and also unflattering. And I didn't even realize that she was wearing a sweater. I thought that was part of the funny pattern.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    I have to say I thought it was a bit of an odd choice, and also unflattering. And I didn't even realize that she was wearing a sweater. I thought that was part of the funny pattern.
    Yes, me too. I just assumed it was fashionable and I was (and certainly am) out of the fashion loop. I thought she looked fine--it wasn't traditional or classic--a little modern for my tastes-- but she is so beautiful I think she can pull it off.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal
    I was not a fan of it. I didn't think it was very flattering on her, but I've read here that it photographed well.

That said, I didn't like Cindy McCain's suit last night either! I liked Jill Biden's green, and Sarah Palin looked nice in her navy blue. But the red/black number- not so much!!

DH thought she looked pregnant. Guess he didn't think it was flattering either!

I thought the girls looked darling though!!!!
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I posted this on another thread (about Obama's speech), but I too was not a big fan. The girls were beautiful and the family looked incredibly photogenic as a whole, but what was with that dress?

When I saw the photos and videos again today, it's clear that the effect eas meant to be eye-catching from a distance - it is not a dress you want to look at close up, but it is attractive when viewed from hundreds of feet away in a crowd of thousands.

Here's a blog entry re Michelle's dress - apparently we're not the only ones focusing on a dress on a day when history was being made!
    http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-line/mi...night-dress/84

My MIL's explanation - "Maybe she needs a personal shopping team and expense account at Neiman Marcus and Saks like you-know-who!" Well, I think she'll have that and more at the White House - let's just wait and watch.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually really like the things she wears, but that dress- not so much.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Didn't like the dress, although it photographed well and the whole family looked beautiful. But, having said that, she's such an incredibly talented woman, her beauty is far beyond what she wears and in her substance and compassion. I hope she doesn't try to do what Hillary did as first lady, because I thought her attempts at 'soft, wifey' fashion while first lady undercut who she was as a person. Nor do I think being a style icon like Jackie Kennedy, as I've heard suggested, will suit her. Michelle is very much more down to earth and I hope she stays that way. Despite not agreeing with a lot of what she does, I think Condi Rice actually held her own pretty well in the blending professional woman with fashion department.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wasn't a huge fan of the dress but I think that she looked fine. I would guess that she has a hard time finding things off the rack since she is nearly 6 feet tall.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have an aversion to red and black colorblock outfits. For myself, for anyone, period. It's absolutely irrational (I think I had a bad experience in the 80s that I just haven't recovered from) but I recoiled when I caught a glimpse of MO's dress.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I didn't care for that particular dress, however I liked the idea of it. I liked that she looked like herself and it seems consistent with what she's worn in the past (I don't mean that I don't like her past choices, just that they're not always the typical suit or conservative dress). I thought it looked fine on her, but the red/black pattern and the style of the dress didn't appeal to me.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

it made me think of the devil.

(and i like her and support obama.)
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast