So, Obama had something like 90% support north of the border. I think much of that is based on anti-Bush sentiment that has been brewing for, oh, 8 years. IMO, I don't think many Canadians know about/understand what Obama stood for, specifically with respect to US/Canadian relations.

Personally, I think he and a Democratic House/Senate will be more protectionist. This is borne out by history (Dems are more protectionist). It also accords with him campaigning to ax NAFTA (which he claimed, via aides, to retract, but, frankly, I don't believe that). Not to mention, the US economy is in the tank (financial mess notwithstanding) with a trade deficit that seems insurmountable -- again, my recollection of economic history is that in times of economic stress, US presidents become protectionist.

I also question how well Obama and Stevie would get along. While they are close in age, they appear to be polar opposites. Obama is personable and liberal. Harper is pretty much the opposite of personable and staunchly conservative. I can't recall a time in my memory when we had a conservative PM and liberal Prez. The "height" of US/Canadian relations in the modern era is Reagan/Mulroney, which we all know was conservative to the max.

I am also quite worried about Obama's purported health plan that involves legalizing CAnadian pharmaceuticals. That, according to what I've read, will result in astronomical prices in CAnada, and drug shortages. Definitely a downside for Canadians.

Thoughts?