newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Condolence call questions-what do you say?

Okay, I KNOW this sounds like a silly question...

But when you pay a visit to a family who has just had a member pass away, what do you say?

We are going to a shiva this evening. For those who do not know, a shiva is (in the Jewish religion) a period of time where people gather & visit after the death of a loved one. It's a time for people to visit, pay their condolences, & remember the loved one's life.

Somehow, I always feel awkward with the "I am so sorry for your loss" or "I am so sorry about your Dad", etc.

I do not know WHY I feel awkward. Is it just me? Is there soemthing better I could say?? I am just not good at this (which is ridiculous since I was a nurse for 13 years!!!!!!!!!).

Somehow, in the hospital setting I as better at it.

So, what do YOU say????????

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Did you know the person who passed? If so, a rememberance "I remember when Joe graduated from high school" or "Joe once told me how much he loved your pies" or something .

Also, "is there anything I can do?" will probably just get a polite response, but if there are young children in the family offering to take them for a playdate on a coming up day or even just for a walk while you are there could be appreciated.

Your presence is your support, that's the important thing.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think "I am so sorry" or "I am sorry for your loss" are the most appropriate things to say.
    I think less is more really.
    I try to also stay away from things like, "he's better off" or "things happen for a reason" or "God has a plan" because even though I may believe these things, the person just may not want to hear that at that moment or maybe they don't agree.
    Sometimes I think it's approriate to add something like, "he meant so much to me" or something short, sweet and sincere like that. But whenever I have the slightest doubt, I don't think you can go wrong with "I am so sorry".
    DD
    DS

My mom died 2 years ago and here are the things I wanted to hear and/or appreciated hearing:

1. I am so sorry for your loss (NOT "what are you going to about your father?"!)

2. I hope that God is giving you what you need to get through this time. (NOT "she is in a better place")

3. I remember when..so many nice stories about my mom.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde
    My mom died 2 years ago and here are the things I wanted to hear and/or appreciated hearing:

1. I am so sorry for your loss (NOT "what are you going to about your father?"!)

2. I hope that God is giving you what you need to get through this time. (NOT "she is in a better place")

3. I remember when..so many nice stories about my mom.
    My grandmother died back in Feb and I TOTALLY agree with this post. The people I remember from the viewing and funeral were the ones who came up to me and told me stories about my grandmother. We all know she's in a better place, but we still miss her!

newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all the advice.
    Unfortunately, I barely knew the man.
    So, I guess I'll stick with "I am so sorry for your loss".
    Thanks again!!