Default 11 Month old might swallowed earring help asap

I was on the phone paying a bill. My 11 month old got in to a cabinet that is usually blocked by furniture. There was a jewelry holder, I have no idea what was in it. There was a pair of hoop earrings and a solitare diamond like but only one and a small screw ( maybe two). So he might have swallowed nothing or a small screw or an earring or a screw and an earring. I feel terrible. We took him in a few months ago for eating something off the floor ( I know it was just food) but it coincided with him not eating so we thought it might be stuck in his throat. It was not, he was just getting sick.

Help! I really don't want him to have to get another X-Ray but oy! I don't want a sharp object going through his system either. What would they do? Just watch it? A

Since you don't know IF your child swallowed anything or what exactly might have been swallowed, I would wait and see if anything passes. At the first sign of GI issues, or pain, I would take the child to the ER. I probably would also call my pediatrician just to be on the safe side.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Call the ped to be on the safe side.

I usually try to feed them a bunch of food right away so that it 'cushions' whatever it is and watch the other end. Obviously be extra careful with any signs of GI issues until it passes.

BTW, it is much easier to search through the contents of a diaper if you put it in a large ziploc bag first.....
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In the pre 9/11 days I heard of parents taking their kids through the security gates at the airport to see if the metal would set off the xray machine...but seriously I would call the ped and see what they say....an xray if needed is very safe.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think the security checkpoint would detect the jewelry you describe. Bottom line, call the ped. And lots of fluids.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Thanks everyone. The ped said not to worry as long as breathing is fine. I just can't believe there was a jewelry box there that he could get to. Bad mommy...