daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Your experience with Reglan?

I'm going to be starting Reglan to bump up milk supply. What's your experience with side effects and outcome in terms of increased milk supply?

Thanks,
    dpka

I opted not to go the medication route, so I can't give you any first hand experience, but when I discussed it with the LC I was seeing (who is also an MD), she told me there's a potential side effect of depression. I have a history of depression and didn't want to take that risk. (FWIW, apprarently Domperidone doesn't carry the same risk.)
    Jessica

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Reglan worked for my neighbor, but it did nothing for me. I used domperidone with both DC with some success. There are a lot of other things to try also. Have you done oatmeal, mother's milk teas, more milk plus, etc?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I didn't suffer any side-effects and boy did it work!

Thanks for your replies! I've done oatmeal but not the teas... I was told Domperidone (which I prefer) isn't available in the US. I had an unnerving time with postpartum blues, so I'm not comfortable with Reglan, I guess. I'll try the tea first and hope that works for me.

Daisy

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd
    Thanks for your replies! I've done oatmeal but not the teas... I was told Domperidone (which I prefer) isn't available in the US. I had an unnerving time with postpartum blues, so I'm not comfortable with Reglan, I guess. I'll try the tea first and hope that works for me.

Daisy
    Oh, duh. I didn't put the how to get it part. I'm in the US. The LC at our hospital knows about it, but I was the first one to come to her wanting to try it. Two years later, they're prescribing it a lot to women with supply issues. The doctor has to write a script for it, then you can get them to call it in to a compounding pharmacy. Google "compounding pharmacy" and your town. I'm guessing something will come up. When I mentioned to a gastroenterologist I was taking it for milk production, she was fine with it. She said she has to send her patients to internet pharmacies in Canada to get it. She was thrilled to know the compounding pharmacy can make it. Read more about it if you're interested and the teas don't work.

Thanks again, Watchingthemgrow! Thats an option I'd love to explore.

Daisy