3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Question Heading home for Christmas, what brands do I need to look for?

I am headed home to Southern Ontario for Christmas. Are there Canadian brands of baby stuff I should be looking for that I can not buy in the US? Toys, foods, gear, etc. Think of an item that you would stock up on if you were moving

TIA

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Based on the thread over in The Lounge (? for Bubbaray), you should look for KinderSurprise and Smarties.

Sorry, couldn't resist!!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

I don't think there's much (baby or otherwise) that you can't get in the US now that's produced/based in Canada. Your money might go farther now with the exchange rate, but there's always the higher tax to take into consideration. I usually do all my shopping going the other direction, LOL, because the sales are just so much better in the US even taking the exchange into account. I guess the things I would concentrate on might be Canadian-produced so that you could get them either at 1) Winner's or 2) the factory store for that product.

Coming from S. ON you probably know that Sorel was based there (Kitchener-Waterloo, I think). Don't know if they have a factory store, or if since being bought out the plant has closed. There is a Sierra Designs factory store (very odd hours) at Foymount up near one of the Algonquin entrances, but don't know how close that is to you. Kushies is based in Niagara, but it seems to be on the US side, which is a little astounding. Robeez and Babylegs are also based here, but the Target prices seem equivalent so I don't know that I'd "stock up" per se. I have sometimes found Kushies and Robeez, and Petit Lem at Winner's but it's really hit or miss. You can get Grobags up here (they are from New Zealand, I think) and apparently based on other comments I've seen here they're hard to find in the States? Also, there's a cheaper/larger line of Quinnys at SearsCanada - but I don't know if that's the stroller you'd want or not. You might check out MEC for their organic onesies (often on sale) or for sale Patagonia in baby sizes. Maybe look for Canadian-themed baby books from Chapters? Oh, Sudocrem for diaper rash - it's Irish and can't get it in the US. Basically things that are from other commonwealth (or former) countries are often easier to find here than in the US.

Others may have more suggestions, but outside of premium brands or local specialities, I don't know what to add that's going to be all that much cheaper or different than in the US.

If it were me I'd follow Ellasmum's line of thinking and grab some Strongbow at the LCBO ...even tho it's not Canadian, I've never seen it in the US.

We're buying DS a Habs jersey for Xmas, but you might not want to consider that being from ON
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 12-06-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the good ideas. Food is definitely what I miss the most. Wunderbars, Smarties, Aero, Rolo ice cream, sigh. Strongbow is finally made its way into Northern Va. I miss it on tap the most Won't be able to touch any being 22 weeks pregnant. I have my husband addicted to Strongbow now too, lol.