Default New life for old crayons?

What do you do with your old crayons? I was thinking about melting them into new crayons, but am not sure if there are any other cool ideas. I have gobs of them from the bins in my classroom, so looking for a bunch of ideas.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My mom melted them in muffin tins to make multi-colored muffin-shaped crayons. The other cool thing you can do (we LOVED this) was to heat rocks in the oven (really low heat) and then color them. You can let them cool and they are SO pretty, especially with glittery crayons.

thomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A few years ago for Valentine's Day my student teacher made heart shaped crayons with old crayons and silicone pans. They were adorable. Students chose the colors to put in "their" crayon so each one looked different. She got the idea from Family Fun magazine.

I reused the idea last year except made flower shaped crayons for a mother's day/spring craft.

Kim
    ds&dd 5/03

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another thing I've done with them besides melting them into new crayons is shave them with a cheese grater, and let DD decorate a large piece of wax paper with the shavings. Then I cover with another piece and the melt the shavings with an iron. You could use glitter in there too or leaves in the fall.

Default Another Idea is to use them to make soap

This idea is from the Humpty Dumpty Magazine Nov/Dec issue 2009

1. Line baking sheet with wax paper

2. Adult cuts 2# block of glycerin saop base (available in craft stores) into chunks (it is usually scored for easy cutting.

3. Place in microwave safe bowl and add crayon shaving (for color).

4. Micorwave for 25-second intervals, stirring until melted (do not overheat).

5. Add soap scent (available in craft stores) and stir SLOWLY to avoid bubbles. Pop any bubbles that form.

6. Have your helper pour the soap onto the baking sheet. Cool for 30" or until softly set.

7. Cut out cookie cutter shapes. Place soaps on a flat surface.

8. When soaps are completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap and secrure with a sticky label. Then write the scent on the label.

My 4-yr-old had the idea to make this for her preschool teachers for Christmas.