Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help! Accidently fed DS expressed breastmilk that was left out for 30 hours!

We accidently fed my 11-week old possibly spoiled breastmilk, mistaking it for fresh breastmilk. What's going to happen? Will he get sick?

He might experience the same sort of reaction that you would, if you drank spoiled milk. I'm surprised he actually drank it since babies tend to turn their nose up at anything that smells different. I would call your ped, just to be safe...but my guess is that he might have some vomitting or diarrhea. See what your ped recommends for preventing dehydration. At 11 weeks, their tummies are a little less sensitive than full term.

But figure out a system so this doesn't happen again!

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I will confess that as toddlers and preschoolers both my kids have gotten their hands on an old sippy of milk, drank more than a few swallows and not suffered any dire consquences. There weren't any digestive complaints afterwards. That's older than 11 weeks, but still, I was expecting worse. I'm guessing that if he actually drank it, it couldn't have been *that* spoiled. My babies were so picky at that age.

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, it's now 12 hours later and we haven't experienced any reactions. I'm guessing the milk wasn't too spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Nechums
    Well, it's now 12 hours later and we haven't experienced any reactions. I'm guessing the milk wasn't too spoiled.
    GOOD! I hope your DC continues to be happy & healthy!

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I know the feeling. I didn't do it with breastmilk, but my child drank milk that was actually so old it had solids in it. Long story so I won't bore you with it, but I was freaked out and fortunately he didn't get sick. I know milk and breastmilk are different, but I'm hoping it will make you feel a bit better to know that my kid ingested some very (VERY!) old, very gross milk and didn't get sick.

Susan

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm guessing that if he actually drank it, it couldn't have been *that* spoiled. My babies were so picky at that age.

Was it left out on a counter or in the refrigerator? If it was in the fridge I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Was it freshly expressed milk, left out in room temp? I believe that freshly expressed milk is, "safe" for up to 10 hrs at room temp. 30 hrs is pretty long, BUT if your baby hasn't shown any sign of GI distress, he/she is probably fine. Freshly pumped milk is amazing stuff, there is a reason why it is called, "liquid gold," honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it's last power was longer than 10 hrs...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs