o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Making I Spy Bags

This is my collection of tips for making I Spy bags as requested on this thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...=308348&page=3

I made several of these for the kids and this is a combination of what I did as well what I would change the next time. YMMV!

Materials:

Fabric for the bag - get something that doesn't ravel such as fleece. I used Anti-pill fleece from JoAnn. You don't need much, so check the remnents section. Enough to make approx two 10" squares is good.
    Clear plastic - again from Joann in the home decorating fabric section. Feel them to find a good balance of flexible but strong enough not to rip. Enough for one 10" square.
    Fabric glue stick
    Stuffing Pellets - I found these at Hobby Lobby in the doll making section. 2 lb bag (enough for two) was around $5
    Assortment of small objects to find - this is the hardest part. I used buttons, coins, small decorative rocks, marbles, pasta, beads, miniatures, etc. If you know someone that is into crafting ask to raid their stash as you only need one of each object. It can be pricey to buy as many as you need. I found that you need around 25 objects. Look around the house - paperclips, wooden craft spoons, googly eyes, etc. are all good choices. Be sure that nothing is sharp or pointy enough to poke the fabric or plastic.
    Thread to match

1. From the fabric cut two 9.5" squares. In the center of one, cut a 3" square window.

2. Cut a 9.5" square piece of plastic.

3. (This is the part I would do different, so I haven't tried this yet**) Using the fabric glue stick, put a line of glue around the 'window' of the fabric on the wrong side. Lay this fabric piece on the plastic, lining the edges and trying not to stretch the 'window' out of shape. Press down to stick the fabric to the plastic. You can pin or clamp the outside edges to keep the two pieces of material together, but I found that pins around the window area make it hard to sew, so that's why I suggest the glue stick. I use mini binder clips as clamps for material that I don't want to put pins through.

4. Sew through the fabric and plastic together around the window leaving a narrow edge. You can use a straight stitch or a narrow zig-zag.

5. Stack the layers of the bag and pin or clamp together/ You should have, from top to bottom - fabric with window, plastic (sewn around window area to top layer), fabric without window (wrong side up). You are not going to turn the bag, so this should be in the order of the final product.

6. Sew three sides of the bag leaving a 1/2" hem on the outside. *optional - add a loop on one of the sides to attach a laminated list*

7. Measure out 1 lb. of beads and put in the bag along with the miniatures. You will want to make a list of the objects you are putting in before adding them.

8. Sew the top of the bag shut, again leaving a 1/2" hem.

9. Use pinking shears to trim the outside edges, cutting through all three layers. This is mainly decorative. If you don't have pinking shears, I would use scissors to round the corners if the plastic feels too pointy there.

** When I made mine, I used a small piece of plastic just in the window area, but this was a PITB to sew on and keep straight, using a piece the size of the bag makes for easier sewing. I also turned and topstitched the bag, which was more effort than needed if you use a fabric that doesn't fray.
    Last edited by o_mom; 12-13-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing these instructions! I also appreciate you adding the info about where to find all of the supplies. I think a few of these will be my next project!
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks so much, I had thought about doing these in the past. What age range do you think these would best suit? We appreciate you sharing these tips!

I would say age 3-ish they would be able to start doing it. My 3.5 yo just likes to look at the stuff and not actively hunt for things, though he is starting to a bit. My 5 yo will ask what to look for and then try to find it. Technically, I would say not under three because of the small parts if it were to break open but parental judgement and all that.

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I LOVE this idea and can't wait to try it out. Where are you finding the little trinkets for in the bags? Are you going to bead sections in the craft store? I'm not sure where to begin! If I can figure this out I might make them as favors for DS's next birthday. Thanks so much for posting.

I bought some in the button section of JoAnn - they have the 'favorite findings' ones that are shaped (http://www.crafterstoybox.com/store/page499.html). You can usually get a package that is themed and has 5-7 different ones of all the same theme. They will have a sports theme that has a basketball, soccerball, etc. You can also look in the miniture section. Hobby Lobby has a bunch of those. Look around the house - coins, paperclips, etc. I had some colored macaroni shapes, and other stuff.

If you are making a bunch, you can spread the cost out, but if you are only making a few it gets expensive to buy a whole package of buttons to use one or two. I try to collect things as I find them in the clearance section, or use up coupons. Then divide them into plastic baggies until I get around to making them.

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Perfect! Thank you. I can't wait to get started on these.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is awesome, thank you!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have been thinking about making one of these, but then found some on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5285116

There's a link to one seller, there are probably others too.

I have been dutifully collecting items but think I will order an Etsy one, or even send in my little things for a custom bag.

I still think it's a great idea. I'm just happy not to pull out my sewing machine.

Here are shaped ones!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ce_desc&page=1
    Last edited by KBecks; 02-16-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Thanks so much for putting this together. I've been wanting to do this for a while but never had the time to do it. Now I have some motivation!!