Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have the Beco Butterfly for my 25 lb 8 mo old. I can wear it for hours with no issues, I love it!!! I have heard great things about the Ergo as well, I just found the Beco more attractive.

You also might look into the Sutemi. DH wears one for my ODS (3.5 yrs old, 38 lbs). He does a back carry with no problems, it can also be used as a front carry.

Stacy

I like the Ergo.

We have the Ergo and Bjorn. The Bjorn is great for front facing but I love that the Ergo can grow with our baby.

I recommend the Ergo.

Great thread...any thoughts on the pikkolo compared to the Ergo? I like the versatility of the pikkolo...but I've seen so many rave reviews on the Ergo...decisions decisions!

I am getting an Ergo next week. I used the Bjorn just to walk to the laundry room in our building (checking to see if any washers were free) and now by back aches. I wish I had done better research before I put it on my registry. Oh well.

we have the baby bjorn with back support and it's been great but i also use the ergo which will last longer than the bjorn.

the ergo also allows you to hip hold and back wear your baby.

i highly recommend it.

Re: Pikkolo vs Ergo... I think the reason why there are many people that rave about the Ergo is because it's much more common and widely sold than the Pikkolo. The Pikkolo is a new product and not a lot of people has tried it yet nor even seen one.

Friends who have had both Ergo and Pikkolo actually prefer the Pikkolo over the Ergo...

I have a Pikkolo and I just love it. I tried out the Ergo at a store once and didn't like how it feels (I have a bad back). You just really have to try both of them and see how it feels for you before you can make a fair comparison of the two.

But for the me, the reasons why I chose the Pikkolo over the Ergo is how my baby is being carried. I find that the Ergo was too low... she looked as if her legs are splayed out and her butt hanging. The Pikkolo has her up against my body with her legs to her side and down. Also, because I feel like my back is better with the Pikkolo. It also allows her to face forward which she just loves. Basically, it can do everything the Ergo plus face out.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have an ergo and am a big fan. As some one who has done a good deal traveling with a backpack, I valued the waist strap. All of the backpacks I have used have had nice padded waist straps to help distribute the load to your hips, so your back isn't doing all the work. I appreciated that the ergo was constructed similar to high-end outdoor gear. It has a sternum strap (well, it's on your sternum if you wear the baby on the back--if you're wearing the baby on your front, it connects the straps in the middle of your back, so they do not fall off. My guy at 7 months is a chunk (about 20 pounds) and I can carry him for hours in the ergo...comfortably.

If you do get the Pikkolo, get the support belt (an extra $22), if you want to be more comfortable and put less stress on your back and shoulders.

If you order from www.theportablebaby.com they'll throw in the padded waist belt for free with a purchase of a Pikkolo.

I didn't get the padded waist belt though... but I don't have any problems with it.

I bought both the Beco and the Ergo to replace our Bjorn which was murder on the back after DS hit 4 mos or so (and he's a lightweight!). Even I can use the Beco and I have back problems on and off. I don't use the Ergo much only because the Beco was so amazing that I never bothered to really learn how to get it on and off smoothly. But both are great carriers and I would recommend either one. I just couldn't make up my mind about the two as I am very indecisive these days. DH is less sold on the Ergo as the baby is resting against the parent, not against cloth like with the Beco...he's very warm-blooded. For me, it really wouldn't matter. The waist belt on both and the option of a back carry is just leaps and bounds above the Bjorn. The Beco is made to fit an infant, we bought the infant insert for the Ergo in case we have another DC or decide to sell this one - I thought it would make a better selling point to have the complete package. DS loves to look over our shoulders in the back carry and I don't miss the looking out feature of the front-carry on the Bjorn at all.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3